Incoming Freshmen International Students
A freshmen student is a student who is a high school graduate and who has not attended a college or university after graduating from high school (secondary school).
- Possess the equivalent of a U.S. high school diploma
- Minimum GPA: 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements
|TOEFL Internet-Based Test||TOEFL Paper-Based Test||IELTS Test|
|Conditional Admission||Below 79||Below 550||Below 6.5|
|Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP required)**||79-99||550-599||6.5|
|Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP exempt)||100||600||7.0|
English Language Assessment Program (ELAP)
The ELAP is a test to assess students' academic English proficiency in the areas of reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The test is administered during orientation for those students who have an ELAP hold. Results from the ELAP will determine possible placement in EIS (English for International Students) courses in the first semester. EIS courses are credit courses and not part of an Intensive English Program.
Applying as an International Freshman Student
- Apply online at ApplyTexas.org
- Pay a $60 application processing fee
- Submit official high school transcript
- Submit an official English translation for non-English transcripts.
- Send your TOEFL or IELTS scores directly from the testing agency.
All documents related to international student admissions must be sent to the Office of International Programs:
Office of International Programs
International Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle, MB 1.210
San Antonio, TX 78249
An admissions decision will not be made until all required documents are received. Students who are admitted to the university are not guaranteed admission to a specific academic program.
Attestations of Original Documents
- When an original document cannot be duplicated according to the secondary school, university, or examining board policy, attested copies may be substituted.
- Attestations MUST be obtained either from the issuing college/university, the Controller of Examination/Records or the Principal.
- Attestation must include the appropriate signature and official stamp.
- Copies attested by notary officials, translators, head of department, lecturer, other government posts, etc., are not acceptable substitutes.
English Language Proficiency
TOEFL or IELTS scores are used to determine if additional English language training is required. In order to be exempt from additional English language courses, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- score TOEFL Internet-Based Test (IBT) 100 or greater
- score TOEFL Paper-Based Test (PBT) 600 or greater
- score IELTS of 7.0 or greater
- graduated from a U.S. high school and completed two full years of regular English courses
- scored 500 or greater on the SAT critical reading
- scored 21 or greater on the ACT English component
- The University of Texas at San Antonio offers Conditional Admission for international undergraduate students who meet our academic requirement for admission but who require additional English language training at UTSA.
- Students interested in conditional admission should apply using the online Texas Common Application for the semester they wish to begin the Intensive English Program (IEP).
- After successfully completing the IEP and achieving the appropriate TOEFL or IELTS score, students will be promoted to a degree seeking status for the following semester to enroll in academic courses.
- Students who accept an offer of conditional admission are required to attend a minimum of one semester of IEP at UTSA.
- Students who have taken or expect to take the TOEFL or IELTS before the application deadline will not be considered for conditional admission until such scores are on file.
- Eligibility for conditional admission and promotion to a degree-seeking status is contingent upon submission of all required academic credentials.
UTSA International Gateway
For more information on being an international student at UTSA including visas, financial aid, health insurance, and living in San Antonio and more, please visit http://international.utsa.edu You can also email International.Admissions@utsa.edu