Transfer International Student Requirements
All documents related to international undergraduate student admissions must be sent to the Office of International Programs:
Office of International Programs
International Undergraduate Admissions
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle, MB 1.210, San Antonio, TX 78249
Attention: Documents submitted to UTSA for admission consideration become the property of our university.
Please review the information below and if you have additional questions we welcome you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on UTSA international student activity to include the I-20 or DS-2019 process, international student orientation, insurance requirements, living in San Antonio, campus resources and much more, please visit the International Gateway and then click on the International Students Services.
A transfer student is any student who has earned post-secondary credit at a recognized accredited college or university.
Transfer students with fewer than 30 semester credit hours must meet freshmen and transfer requirements.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended, even if they do not wish to transfer the credit to UTSA.
- Have at least a cumulative 2.25 GPA on a 4.0 scale in all college level coursework from regionally accredited institutions in the U.S.A. or an foreign institution.
Note: When calculating the cumulative grade point average for admission, ALL attempted work is considered. Repeated and failed courses are NOT excluded.
A student currently on suspension at a previous institution will not be considered for admission
- • A foreign credential evaluation is required for all foreign transcripts. UTSA recommends Foreign Credential Services of America (FCSA) or you may choose any member listed at www.naces.org.
- Official transcripts must bear the official seal and/or original signatures of school authorities from the issuing school.
- We require either Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test scores unless you qualify for a TOEFL or IELTS waiver.
TOEFL and IELTS Requirements
|Test||TOEFL Internet-Based Test||TOEFL Paper-Based Test||IELTS Test|
|Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP required)**||79-99||550-599||6.5|
|Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP exempt)||100||600||7.0|
**English Language Assessment Program (ELAP):
The ELAP is a test to assess students' academic English proficiency in the areas of reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The test is administered during orientation. Results from the ELAP will determine possible placement in EIS (English for International Students) courses. EIS courses are credit courses and not part of an Intensive English Program. For more information on the ELAP, please visit Intensive English Program ELAP.
Attention: Meeting our TOEFL or IELTS score requirement does not guarantee acceptance.
- Earned Bachelor's degree from a U.S. college or university.
- Earned 45 or more semester hours of transferable credit from a U.S. college or university.
- Earned 30 or more semester hours of transferable credit from a U.S. college or university to include college-level English Composition I with a B- or better grade.
- The applicant graduated from a U.S. high school and completed two full years of regular English courses.
- The applicant scored 500 or greater on the SAT critical reading or 21 or greater on the ACT English component.
- The University of Texas at San Antonio offers Conditional Admission for international undergraduate students who meet our academic requirement for admission but who require additional English language training at UTSA.
- Students interested in conditional admission should apply using the online Texas Common Application for the semester they wish to begin the Intensive English Program (IEP).
- After successfully completing the IEP and achieving the appropriate TOEFL or IELTS score, students will be promoted to a degree-seeking status for the following semester to enroll in academic courses.
- Students who accept an offer of conditional admission are required to attend a minimum of one semester of IEP at UTSA.
- Students who have taken or expect to take the TOEFL or IELTS before the application deadline will not be considered for conditional admission until such scores are on file.
- Eligibility for conditional admission and promotion to a degree-seeking status is contingent upon submission of all required academic credentials.
- Fall semester: June 1 (semester begins late August)
- Spring semester: November 1 (semester begins early January)
- Summer semester: April 1 (semester begins late May to early June)
F-1 or J-1 Visa Students
- Must submit Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) for any student expecting to enter on an F-1 or J-1 visa
- Confirmation of Financial Resources is not required for admission consideration. However, it is recommended that you become familiar with the requirements and be prepared to submit your financial documents upon acceptance to the university
- For information on international student scholarships please visit the International Student Scholarship page.
Texas Residency Rules
- For information on the requirements to determine eligibility to pay in-state tuition please visit the Office of the Registar/Texas Residency Rules .
Note: Attestations of Original Document
- When an original document cannot be duplicated according to the secondary school, university, or examining board policy, attested copies may be substituted.
- Attestations MUST be obtained either from the issuing college/university, the Controller of Examination/Records or the Principal.
- Attestation must include the appropriate signature and official stamp.
- Copies attested by notary officials, translators, head of department, lecturer, other government posts, etc., are not acceptable substitutes.
- Apply online at applytexas.org
- Pay $60 application fee.
- Submit your official transcripts for each college or university attended.
- A foreign credential evaluation is required for all foreign transcripts. One company UTSA accepts is Foreign Credential Services of America (FCSA).
- Send your TOEFL or IELTS scores directly from the testing agency.
- If you have fewer than 30 semester hours of college-level coursework at the time of application, you must also submit the documents required for Freshmen Students.