Welcome to MORESE at UTSA
Minority Opportunities for Research Experience in Earth Science and Environmental Engineering at the University of Texas at San Antonio (MORESE at UTSA), funded by the U.S. Department of Education (Grant Award No. P120A100092), was a three-year project (October 1, 2010 to September 30, 2013) designed to provide research and field experiences to minority undergraduates majoring in Geology, Environmental Science, and Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Activities sponsored under MORESE at UTSA included:
- Research experience providing undergraduates an opportunity to work closely with a faculty mentor on a specific research topic. Twenty research/training stipends ($3000 per student) were available each summer.
- A 10-day expense paid field trip in geology or hydrology and water resources each summer to bring together the undergraduates involved in research or internship programs.
- Two local K-12 science teachers were invited to join the field trip each summer to serve as part of our outreach pipeline to K-12 students.
- An annual student colloquium in which students presented their summer research. Cash awards were offered for the best project presentations.
- Travel support for students to present their research in professional conferences at the local, regional, or national levels.
- Science mentoring and outreach to K-12 kids through presenting and/or participating in public schools, PREP program, geology club, and science/engineering fairs, to keep undergraduate participants excited about their science/engineering and to help attract younger students to careers in the sciences and engineering.
- A biweekly seminar series focused on issues in Earth science, geospatial science and technology, and environmental science and engineering bringing experts from industry, government, and academics to UTSA to share their research and experience with our students.
- Improvements of three research and teaching labs: Laboratory for Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics, Stratigraphic Analysis Lab, and Hydrology Computing Lab.
Participation in research through the MORESE program was anticipated to increase student marketability in entering graduate schools or beginning careers upon graduation from UTSA.
- Dr. Hongjie Xie
- Dr. Lance Lambert
- Dr. Hatim Sharif
The MORESE program was a continuation and innovation of our previous program: MORE Science at UTSA (2005-2009). Click here for information about the MORE Science program and its accomplishments.
funding provided by