Below is information from AP Summer Institute workshops that were held in August 2014. Please stay tuned for next year's lineup.
Designed to integrate the AP World History curriculum into the open-enrollment classroom, this course will include discussions and updated techniques covering the successful introduction and implementation of the AP "habits of mind" into the classroom. Emphasis will be placed on the six chronological periods covered in the new AP World History course description.
- The scope and framework of changes to AP World History curriculum
- Establishing and maintaining college-level academic standards while making the course enjoyable
- Building teacher success and confidence through preparation
- Using creative lessons and activities to open the door to student confidence and success, and to address issues of, “but my students can’t do this”
- Writing a practical course syllabus for an accelerated block and/or a traditional school schedule
- Making art and culture part of the unit lessons
- Improving student organization and opening their eyes to the possibilities of interpreting and understanding world history
- Teaching effective essay writing and critical thinking skills using “Law & Order”/”CSI” investigative style
- Examining the 2014 exam for test-taking strategies
- Learning how to grade the three essays and comparing the results with grades given by AP test readers
James Rowland is a National Board Certified secondary social studies teacher who teaches AP World History, AP European History and World History at The Woodlands High School, a 5A public high school located in The Woodlands, Texas. He has taught AP World History in an open enrollment classroom since its inception in 2002 and is an endorsed national and international College Board consultant for Pre-AP and AP World History and AP European History. Last year, Mr. Rowland had more than 200 students take the AP World History exam. Mr. Rowland is an AP World History table leader/exam reader and a certified trainer for TCI’s History Alive program.
Important Registration Details & Directions
AP Summer Institute 2014 has ended. Please check back next February for an update on the next AP Summer Institute, projected for August 2015.
Have any questions?