About our Summer Institute
The Advanced Placement Summer Institute is administered by the UTSA Office of Extended Education and endorsed by the Southwestern Region of the College Board*. Our mission is to provide the highest quality of instruction in a professional environment, and to prepare educators in guiding students toward a successful college experience! We set aside several weeks during the summer to bring together consultants from the AP College Board and teachers (we have even hosted international teachers!). Upon completion of the Institute , teachers will receive an Advanced Placement certificate which serves as their accreditation to teach Advanced Placement* courses in math, sciences, languages, arts, and more.
Announcing the 2015 AP Institute Dates
This year, we will host two AP Summer Institute sessions.
- A session hosting all Pre-AP workshops, June 23-26 at the downtown campus
- A session hosting all the AP workshops, August 4-7 at the main campus
Reasons to be excited about Advanced Placement:
- Most students (82.4%) in the Class of 2011 graduated on the state’s Recommended or more rigorous Distinguished High School programs; only 17.7% of the Class of 2011 graduated on the Minimum program (percentages equal more than 100% due to rounding).
- The percentage of primary school students completing Advanced Placement or dual-credit courses, an indicator of college readiness, has increased steadily over the last three years: 26.3% in 2009–10, 24.6% in 2008–09, and 23.% in 2007–08.
- Texas ranked 13th among the states in students’ achieving high scores on Advanced Placement exams.
- Fourteen Texas public high schools rank among the top 100 schools in the nation, according to Newsweek and US News & World Report.
How to Register
All registration for the AP Summer Institute is online through our website. You may find registration by visiting the workshop page of your preferred subject. You may enroll yourself; however, your school may prefer that they register you on your behalf. Many of our teachers choose the invoice option for payment. When invoice is chosen, your school must send us a full and complete purchase order, and then we send your school an invoice. Please keep an open communication with your central office at all times regarding payment, or your registration with the AP Summer Institute may be jeopardized. We will not be taking registration at the AP Summer Institute. Check-in only for registered attendees only. You must register within the dates provided.
As with previous years, some of our courses will reaching capacity; some earlier than others. Compare the full courses vs. the open courses by clicking here. Check back to review our process on being added to any workshop waiting lists.
Substitutions, Refunds & Cancellation Policy
All requests for substitutions, refunds, and cancellations must be submitted in writing to our email address. Refunds on cancellations, minus the $50 processing fee, will be granted until regular registration ends. All substitutions will require an additional $50 processing fee on top of the current registration fee. To notify us of any changes, submit in writing to APSI@utsa.edu so that we may time stamp it and begin processing. Please see below for additional instructions:
- To Email About Cancellations: Please email us and declare that you are no longer attending the AP Summer Institute , please request a refund.
- To Email About Substitutions: Please email us the name of the current teacher, the name of the workshop, the new teacher, and the point of contact whom will be processing any revised purchase orders or further payment. Substitutions cannot be made after deadline date of July 21, 2014. This is a very important deadline, as it guarantees your signed, official certificate at the end of the institute.
Certification and Attendance Policy
Participants meet for 30 hours of instruction during the week and must attend at least 90% of the workshop (i.e., miss no more than three hours of instruction) in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Housing & Accommodations
We will not be providing housing on the UTSA campus. We have made arrangements with UTSA hotels for a discounted rate. Please note that while Extended Education offices are downtown, the institute will be held at the main campus.
UTSA will make every effort to maintain the published schedule of workshops; however, we reserve the right to make any necessary changes and/or cancellations. If a workshop is changed or canceled, all participants will be notified immediately and will be given the opportunity to transfer to an open workshop or receive a full refund.
Have any questions?
*College Board®, AP*, Advanced Placement Program* and Pre-AP* are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.