AP® Biology for New Teachers
Registration is now closed. For questions, please call (210) 458-2411.
This workshop will be held at the UTSA Main Campus from August 2 - 5, 2016.
The workshop is intended for new AP® Biology teachers and will cover the material necessary to successfully teach AP® Biology and promote student achievement. Topics covered will include the AP® Biology Curriculum Framework, exam, recommended labs, content updates, course syllabus, inquiry labs, free response questions and materials for the course. Participants will be given the opportunity to develop their individual courses during the workshop.
Participants in this workshop will have the opportunity to:
- Share hints for improving student achievement
- Participate in content updates
- Discuss the AP® Biology Curriculum Framework
- Explore the AP® Biology exam
- Learn how to incorporate inquiry into the AP® Biology curriculum
- Perform selected lab investigations and share ideas for implementing these labs
- Receive suggestions on how to develop and/or revise an AP® Biology course
- Network and develop a support system with other workshop participants
What Participants Should Bring:
- Flash drive
- Note-taking materials
- Ideas/labs/activities to share with other participants
Shamone teaches Biology 1, Advanced Anatomy and Physiology, AP® Environmental Science, and AP® Biology at Central High School in San Angelo, Texas. She has been teaching for a total of 24 years with most of those years being in a public school. She has taught Biology 1 (grade level and PreAP®) for 20 years, AP®/DC Biology for 15 years, AP®/DC Environmental Science for 6 years, and various classes at Angelo State University and Texas A&M University for 4 years. She has a Bachelor of Science degree and a Master’s degree in Biology from Angelo State University as well as additional graduate hours from Texas A&M University. For the past 15 years, she has been a reader and/or table leader at the AP® Biology reading.
Have any questions?
College Board, AP®, Advanced Placement®, Advanced Placement Program®, AP® Vertical Teams®, Pre-AP® and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
- You must register online before the AP Institutes in order to attend. You will not be able to register the first morning of the AP Summer Institute
- If someone at your school is registering or fulfilling payment on your behalf, it is your responsibility to follow up with them
- Failure to follow payment deadlines will jeopardize receipt of your certification of completion
- By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the policies listed on the UTSA APSI Information page
- Register before April 1, 2016 to save money using the Early Bird Discount
- You must email all substitutions or cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information about the College Board and AP Summer Institutes can be found on the College Board website