The workshop will cover four of the major topics covered in AP Chemistry. This will include teaching stoichiometry, thermochemistry, kinetics, equilibrium and oxidation-reduction chemistry. These topics will be taught with an emphasis on the newly stated science practice and learning objectives published in the current course description. The workshop will place a strong focus on inquiry labs and current released question for study. The participants will have the opportunity to share best practices and materials that can help their own classroom presentations.
What to Bring:
- A TI graphing calculator
- Your current textbook
- Safety glasses to complete lab work
- A personal laptop and a jump drive can help share the materials from other participants
- Understand the Redesigned Chemistry course description and its emphasis.
- Understand the application of the Big Ideas and Learning Objectives as published.
- Understand teaching techniques for challenging the students to do well on the Inquiry Labs.
- Understand College Board administrative procedures for syllabus and audit.
- Understand the resources available on the AP Chemistry Community to be used in your classroom.
- Understand how to prepare students for the AP Chemistry exam by reviewing the samples and types of questions expected.
Jim Cortez is a recently retired AP Chemistry teacher with over 37 years experience in presenting chemical concepts using simple measurements and using easily available chemical supplies. He has been a reader for the exam and a question leader and has been a College Board consultant since 1990, presenting one-day conferences and one-week AP Summer Institutes. Currently he is using this time to redefine his skills of using technology in the chemical lab and writing presentations to enhance lab success.
Important Registration Details & Directions
Registration for AP Summer Institute 2014 has closed. Please send us an email at APSI@utsa.edu if you have any questions or concerns. The Welcome Letter has been emailed to enrolled participants and contains driving directions, parking information, check-in locations, and more information. If you did not receive your Welcome Letter email, you may download it here.
Have any questions?