AP® Chemistry for New and Experienced Teachers
Registration is now closed. For questions, please call (210) 458-2411.
This workshop will be held at the UTSA Main Campus from August 2 - 5, 2016.
This very intensive week will cover the most challenging AP® Chemistry course content, including the changes which occurred with the redesign of the course. An emphasis will be placed on the new curriculum framework and its implementation in the classroom. Resources will be reviewed and participants will experience many inquiry classroom and laboratory activities. Labs will be performed to assist participants in becoming more confident AP® teachers. Strategies for survival and success in the course will be shared and networking connections will be formed among participants.
What Participants Should Bring
Participants are encouraged to bring
- Lab coat or AP®ron
- Closed-toe shoes
- GrAP®hing calculator, if possible
- Flash drive
- laptop computer, if possible
Kristen Jones retired after 26 years of teaching AP® and Pre-AP® Chemistry at A&M Consolidated High School in College Station, TX. She received her B.S. degree from South Dakota State University and her M.S. degree from Texas A&M University, both in Food Science/Food Chemistry. Kristen has been teaching AP®/pre-AP® science teacher workshops across the U.S. for 25 years. She is currently mentoring teachers and students through the National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI), as well as writing and editing textbook, test and on-line materials for publishers. In 2000, Ms. Jones was named the Outstanding Secondary Science Teacher in Texas, and she has also received the American Chemistry Council Catalyst award, Siemens Foundation award for Advanced Placement, American Chemical Society Southwest Regional award, College Board Advanced Placement Special Recognition award, ACT2 Outstanding Chemistry Teacher in Texas award and Sigma Xi Outstanding Secondary Science Teacher award. Her students had more than a 95 percent pass rate on the AP® exam and they have also been winners in many national science competitions.
Have any questions?
College Board, AP®, Advanced Placement®, Advanced Placement Program®, AP® Vertical Teams®, Pre-AP® and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
- You must register online before the AP Institutes in order to attend. You will not be able to register the first morning of the AP Summer Institute
- If someone at your school is registering or fulfilling payment on your behalf, it is your responsibility to follow up with them
- Failure to follow payment deadlines will jeopardize receipt of your certification of completion
- By registering, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the policies listed on the UTSA APSI Information page
- Register before April 1, 2016 to save money using the Early Bird Discount
- You must email all substitutions or cancellations to firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information about the College Board and AP Summer Insitutes can be found on the College Board website