We only have one planet Earth. As each year goes by, we are increasing our reliability on non-renewable resources while depleting those resources. Whether you stay home or commute to work, your carbon footprint is adding to the billions of other carbon footprints graced by their turn in the sun with each spin of the Earth's axis. Wondering how you can help the earth's environment and sustainability? We've got some courses you can take. Continue reading below to see both class-room style course offerings and online course offerings.
Why should you get a certification in one of these courses? Certifications on a resume tell your employers that you understand what you are bringing to the company without going through an extensive Q&A process. According to IDC, 75% of managers say that they screen resumes based on certifications.
Build up your portfolio or establish a principle of incorporating environmental principles into your professional goals.
Online Course Offerings:
The Eco-broker Certificate Program: The Eco-broker Certificate Course provides real estate professionals with basic information about “green” homes and business practices. The program contains three courses leading to the Eco-broker Certified® professional designation. These courses are provided online in a completely self-paced format. A live instructor is assigned to each student. The instructor provides feedback on various interactive exercises and is available for additional assistance. Learn more
- Home Energy Fundamentals: Whether you are concerned with residential or small business applications, after this course you will understand how your home or business uses energy, acquire useful knowledge about the traditional sources of energy, and how to do a home energy audit or hire a professional to do one. Methods of making your home more energy efficient will be discussed. Finally, you`ll get an understanding of the basic types of renewable energy available.
- RCRA and DOT Refresher: This is a unique DOT-RCRA hybrid "refresher" course. The course includes an overview of hazardous waste management laws and regulations, a guide to complying with the myriad of hazardous waste regulations including how to recognize hazardous wastes, how to manage waste correctly on site, how to properly select, label and mark waste containers, how to prepare shipments for transport to treatment, storage and disposal facilities, and how to properly keep records for compliance and enforcement. Learn More
- RCRA Hazardous Waste Management for Generators: The Hazardous Waste Management Online Course provides a detailed discussion of federal solid and hazardous waste management laws and regulations that affect businesses. The course includes a history and overview of hazardous waste management laws and regulations, a guide to complying with the myriad of hazardous waste regulations including how to recognize hazardous wastes, how to manage waste correctly on site, how to properly select, label and mark waste containers, how to prepare shipments for transport to treatment, storage and disposal facilities, and how to properly keep records for compliance and enforcement. Information on how to comply with the 2006 Hazardous Waste Manifest changes are also included. Learn more
- Control of Hazardous Energy: Material covered in the course includes a thorough review of the Standard, its applications and limitations and major compliance requirements including training, assistance in identifying responsible staff, and preparation and organization of an equipment inventory. Learn more
- Stack Sampling Method: US-EPA Methods 1-5 are sampling methods developed for sampling of particulate emissions from stationary sources such as power plants and other industrial facilities. These methods appear in title 40, part 60 of the Code of Federal Regulations (referred to as 40 CFR 60). This course serves as an introduction to the methods and provides a basic understanding of the concepts, equipment, procedures and calculations used in the methods. Helpful hints and suggestions are also incorporated into the material. Learn more
- Life Cycle Assessment for Designers: In this online course you will gain an understanding of how Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) supports the role of the Interior Designer and other green builders in achieving sustainable interiors, and the importance of LCA in materials selection. You will receive an overview of how LCA relates to other "green" product evaluation systems. Finally, you`ll learn about the leading LCA systems currently used, and learn product substitutions. Learn more
- Choosing a Renewable Energy Installer: Once you`ve made the decision to install either a solar or wind renewable energy system, what are the important questions to ask potential installers? This online class starts from the beginning by helping you locate installers, and discusses important considerations and characteristics to look for. Also, we will walk you through some of the installation considerations, including what you can do to help. Learn more
- Achieving Solar: In this online six-module course, you will gain an understanding of the fundamentals of U.S. energy consumption and a detailed primer on today`s solar energy applications. The difference between solar thermal systems and solar photo-voltaic (PV) applications and technologies will be clarified. Climate, geographic, siting, and zoning considerations will be discussed. Finally, you will learn how to locate a contractor, and how solar can add value to a structure. Learn more
- How to Adopt Green Practices in Business and Gain a Competitive Advantage: Topics covered include how to embrace green practices by cutting energy costs--reducing the “carbon footprints” from your facility, office, and vehicles; generally reducing the amount of waste and pollution your company produces and creating a healthier workplace. Throughout the course, you will be provided with compelling and instructive facts, statistics, case studies, and an extensive workbook to help you plan your organization’s transformation, as well as websites to go to for additional information. You will also learn how to obtain a payback of 22% in a few years with a simple office remodel. Learn more
- Green Driving Techniques: People are also increasingly concerned about their individual contributions to global warming, and realize that vehicle emissions are a large factor. Individuals and companies are realizing that even though gas prices may fall, there are long-term environmental reasons why we cannot continue to be as wasteful as in the past. Learn more