About the Hazlewood Exemption
Hazlewood is an exemption of tuition and fees which is available to all eligible, Texas veterans who have served at least 181 days on active duty and have been given an honorable or general (under honorable circumstances) discharge.
You may be eligible if both of the following applies to you:
- You must have entered military services as a resident of Texas, and
- You must be a Texas resident at the time of application.
Yes. By provision of the "Hazlewood Legacy Act", veterans may transfer unused benefits to children or dependents.
Can a veteran's spouse be eligible for the Hazlewood exemption?
Yes, if any of the following conditions apply:
- If a veteran dies as a result of service-related injuries or illness
- Is missing in action
- Is unemployable due to service-related disability
Hazelwood recipients are exempt from payment of all tuition and fees (with the exception of student services fees and property deposits) for up to 150 total credit hours for both undergraduate and graduate coursework.
Hazlewood does not cover books, housing, parking fees, or any other non-tuition related expenses. Hazlewood-eligible students are also eligible to simultaneously receive federal student aid by completing the FAFSA.
- Complete necessary Hazlewood Application Form(s)
- Visit the Hazlewood Database to access and print your Hazlewood Student History.
- Obtain a copy of your DD214 (member 4 copy). You can obtain a copy from the National Personnel Records Center. You can confirm your request by calling NPRC at 314-801-0800 (This is not a toll free call). Be aware that receipt of a DD214 may take up to 2 months.
- Submit a letter from Veteran Affairs (VA) stating that you are not eligible for any other VA educational benefits. For Veterans who have served on or after 9/11/2001, submit a letter from Veterans Administration, attesting to your exhaustion of federal veterans’ educational benefits (chapter 33) that may be used only for the payment of tuition and fees.
- Submit an Outside Resource Form to Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services.
- Go to the VA web site at www.gibill.va.gov
- Click on the Questions & Answers section.
- Click on the tab that says "Login".
- Login if you have an account or click on "Create a New Account" if you need to make a new account.
- Click on the "Ask a Question" tab and request that the VA send you a letter that states that you have no GI Bill/VA benefits remaining (This is also known as a Hazlewood letter.)
- Submit your request. You will receive a response from the VA via email in about 3 business days. The VA will send you a Hazlewood letter in the mail within 2-3 weeks
- If you have any problems or need to talk to a VA representative in Muskogee, please call 1-888-442-4551.
Fall- November 30
Spring – April 1
Summer – July 30
- The Hazlewood exemption is counted against your financial aid budget. Submit an Outside Resource Form to prevent discrepancies in awarding. Please note that your awards may be reduced if you submit your application after your aid has disbursed.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks processing time for all applications. If your application is not processed in time for payment deadlines, you will be responsible for covering your charges until the payment is processed. In this case, you may submit an emergency tuition and fee loan.
For more information about the Hazlewood exemption, follow these helpful links: