- Eligibility Requirements
- Interest Rate & Origination Fees
- How Much Can I Borrow?
- How to Apply
The Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that enables graduate and professional students with good credit histories to help meet educational expenses. The Graduate PLUS Loan can be borrowed up to the cost of attendance minus estimated financial assistance such as Stafford Loans. The interest rate is a fixed rate and is set July 1st of each year.
- Must have a valid FAFSA on file
- Must be classified as a degree-seeking Graduate or Doctoral student
- Must be enrolled at least half-time in graduate or doctoral level hours (undergraduate hours do not count toward half-time enrollment)
- Fall/Spring half-time enrollment is 4 hours
- Summer half-time enrollment is 3 hours
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
|On or after October 1, 2014||
|4.292 % is deducted proportionally from each loan disbursement|
You must have a valid FAFSA on file with UTSA to apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan. You can borrow a Graduate PLUS Loan up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance you have been awarded. You are not required to accept Direct Stafford Loans that are offered, but are encouraged to consider all options and examine repayment and interest rate terms prior to borrowing a Graduate PLUS Loan.
The repayment period for a Graduate PLUS Loan begins on the date of the final disbursement of the loan and the first payment is due within 60 days after the date the loan is fully disbursed. Although repayment does not begin until after the final disbursement, interest does accrue while the student is enrolled. Students must contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-848-0979 to request a deferment based on their enrollment status. For more infromation on repayment of PLUS, visit the Direct Loan Program FAQs page.
Graduate PLUS loans are credit-based and you must be credit-approved in order to receive the loan.
Steps to Apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan
- Fill out the FAFSA and submit it to UTSA.
- Log in to www.studentloans.gov using your FSA ID.
- Once logged in, click on "Request Direct PLUS Loan" and select the "Graduate PLUS" as the loan type. All required fields must be filled in.
- At the end of the application, you will be asked to consent to a credit check and will receive an immediate credit decision.
- Once you receive a credit decision, proceed based on the decision as indicated below if approved or denied.
- Submit a Graduate PLUS Request Form for the applicable aid year.
- NOTE: credit approval is only valid for 180 days and will not be extended. If credit approval expires prior to submission or processing of your Graduate PLUS Loan Request Form, you will be required to submit a new credit-check at www.studentloans.gov.
- If this is your first time borrowing a Graduate PLUS loan, you must
- If you were initially denied the PLUS loan but successfully appealed or obtained a credit-worthy endorser, you must
- Complete PLUS Counseling at www.studentloans.gov (this is NOT the same as Entrance Counseling)
If your credit is denied, you may appeal the credit decision or apply for a new credit application using an endorser (cosigner). If you wish to contact the Federal Loan Origination Applicant Services (LOAS) regarding a denial, you may call LOAS at 1-800-557-7394.*
*Those approved with an endorser (cosigner) or whose denial was overturned due to an appeal will need to submit a Graduate PLUS Request Form for the applicable aid year.