Skip to Search Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content
Show/Hide University Links

In-State Tuition for Non-Citizens (HB1403)

House Bill 1403 is a law passed in 2001 that allows certain non-citizen students to pay in-state tuition at a Texas public university and to qualify for state financial aid.  Thus, a student born and raised in Texas whose parents move out of state while he/she was in high school will not lose his/her claim to residency if the student remains in Texas for the required 36 months and graduates or acquires the GED. Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and are limited by state funding provided to UTSA.

To apply for this program fund students must:

  • Have resided with a parent or legal guardian or conservator during at least a portion of the 3 years leading up to high school graduation or the receipt of a GED certificate.
  • Have graduated from a public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this state;
  • Have resided in this state for at least three years as of the date the person graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma;
  • Have registered as an entering student in an institution of higher education not earlier than the 2001 fall semester
  • Only required if student is not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident –
  • Has lived in Texas the 12 months prior to enrollment.
  • Student must be coded as a House Bill student by the Admission’s Office.
  • Student must submit a paper TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid) with all applicable documents by March 15th deadline to the Financial Aid and Enrollment Services Office, in order to be reviewed for potential funding. 

TASFA Application (Application deadline March 15th)

Here is a guide to understand when to use the FASFA or TASFA. There are both English and Spanish language versions of the TASFA available.

Students with a family income less than $6,900 must submit documentation how expenses are paid. Male students must register with Selective Service and provide proof they have registered or are not required to register.

Additional program information:

  • The HB1403 program requires that the student meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
  • Independent students must submit a 2013 signed 1040 tax return and 2013 IRS tax transcript.
  • Parents of dependent students should submit their 2013 signed 1040 tax return and 2013 IRS tax transcript.
  • If a 1040 form is not available, please submit a statement of income listing household income amount for 2013.
  • Males must be registered for Selective Service.
  • Award notifications will be sent in mid to late July.
  • This program is not available in the summer terms.
  • Please visit for additional information.

Back to top