Show/Hide University Links


Q. Why should my student live on campus?

A. Involvement in campus Life
Students who live on-campus report higher satisfaction with their college experience. It’s not surprising because it’s so easy to participate in the various activities and events that occur on campus, as well as within the housing community.

Leadership Opportunities
Residents have the opportunity to acquire a variety of skills as an officer in the Residence Hall Council, as a Residence Life staff member, or as a resident who chooses to plan a social or educational program for yourself and others to enjoy.

Achieve Academic Success
Residents have a core group of fellow students living around them that provides opportunities for study groups and collaboration at various hours of the day or evening. Students are surrounded by others with high academic and career aspirations.

In Hall Programs and Activities
Reidents will enjoy the social and developmental programs sponsored by our staff specifically for residence hall students.

Conveniently Located
Your student is walking distance away from classes, faculty, support services, and campus recreation. The Roadrunner Cafe is located near the residence hall complex making meals quick and easy.

Meet New Friends
Live and make friends with 1680 friendly, intelligent people pursing both academic and personal growth.

Save Money
Living on campus, you are likely to pay less and receive more services and avoid the annoyance of paying numerous bills to electric, gas, water, cable, Internet, and phone companies.

Q. My student has applied for housing, what happens next?

A. A student who applies for housing will receive an email explaining how to pay the housing deposit, as well as information regarding the new bacterial Meningitis vaccination requirement. Once the deposit and bacterial meningitis vaccination documentation are received by UTSA the student will be sent information on the room selection process. Students, who apply late in the summer months may have to wait until a vacancy opens up to be assigned. Also, students who apply for Spring semester might be placed on a waiting list until a space is available.

Q. How can I access my students account?

A. Effective January 1, 2006 parents, guardians, spouses, etc…, will not have access to the student’s education records, including account information, unless the student has filled out a Student Authorization to Release Education Records Form. This form has to be submitted in person or by mail to either Enrollment Services or the Registrar Office, located on the first floor of the John Peace Library Building (JPL). Without this form on file, the above mentioned departments may not disclose to anyone, except the student, the following information, including but not limited to: Financial aid and refund amounts, refund check amount, financial aid status, or any specifics of the students account. Tuition payment amounts, past due balances, or any other account information. Grades, class schedules, enrollment status, or specifics of the student's enrollment.

Disclosure: Enrollment Services (who provides support for Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid, and Fiscal
Services) reserves the right not to release grades or GPA over the phone, even if a Student Authorization to Release
Educational Records Form is on file.

If you have any questions regarding FERPA, please feel free to contact Enrollment Services at 458-8000 or 1-800- 669-0919. Additional information regarding FERPA may be viewed at the Education Department Web site.

Q. What is ASAP?

A. ASAP is the Automated Student Access Program which allows students to maintain their academic needs at UTSA.

Q. What is FERPA?

A. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. § 1232g, is the federal law that provides for the review and disclosure of student educational records.

Q. What are the Housing policies? Where can I find them?

A. Housing policies are the rules and requirements students must adhere to when living on campus. The resident handbook is located online

Q. How does my student’s meal plan work?

A. Flexibility makes it easy to get the most value out of your plan. There are two parts to each student block plan. Once you have a block plan, your UTSACard works like a debit card. Just swipe your UTSACard and the meal charge is deducted from your account automatically.

Q. Can I add money to their account? How can I do that?

A. Yes, money can be added by:

  • Cash
  • Check
  • Credit Card
    • ASAP - MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Choose the UTSACard section under Student or Employee Services. Follow the prompts and your funds are available in about an hour.
  • E-Check
    • ASAP - Choose the UTSACard section under Student or Employee Services. Follow the prompts and your funds are available in about an hour.
  • Financial Aid
    • ASAP - Choose the UTSACard section under Student or Employee Services. Follow the prompts and your funds are available in about an hour.

Q. Who works with my student in the Residence Halls?

A. Our Residence Life team works with your student. A Resident Assistant (RA) is a student para-professional that works and lives in the residential community. The RA will serve as a resource for the students in their area and will provide support from the university to the students. In addition to the RA’s, there is a Residence Hall Coordinator in each residential area. The Complex Coordinator serves as the university supervisor for the residence halls and is also a resource for students.

Q. What happens if my student is not getting along with their roommate?

A. Learning to communicate and compromise with your roommate(s) is one of the most valuable skills you will gain from living on campus. If you and your roommates are not getting along, the student’s Resident Assistant will conduct roommate mediations. This is typically an activity to get everyone talking and thinking of ways to improve the situation. If this does not work, students are allowed to change rooms during the open room change period.

Q. Is there any type of computer lab?

A. Each residence area has a computer room that is available to residents during regular business hours. These computers are intended primarily for educational uses. There is also a student computer facility located on campus.

Q. When are the housing and meal plan payments due and how much is owed?

A. Housing payments are due on the 1st of each month August through April. Meal Plan payments are due on the 1st of each month August, September and October; January, February, and March.

Q. I am coming to visit my student, where can I stay?

A. There are several local hotels around the UTSA campus as well as in San Antonio. usa/hotels/tx/san-antonio.html

Q.Where can I park while on campus?

A. Resident Visitor Parking: Spouses, parents, families and non residential students are generally considered visitors of residents. All visitors must receive a scratch-off permit from the resident they are visiting to park on the UTSA campus. Parking for visitors with a scratch-off permit is permitted in any unmarked spaces in the Residential lot. Residents are able to purchase scratch-off permits from the south parking garage Monday through Friday from 7am – 10 pm at a cost of $15 for a pack of 5 passes. Scratch-off permits are available for purchase by the resident only. Each permit is valid for one day only, the day for which the date is scratched off on the permit by the resident. Be prepared and plan ahead! ( –For more information.

Q. What can I do while I’m in San Antonio?

A. There are many wonderful events and activities one can do in San Antonio.

Q. Where can I acquire campus safety information?

A. The University of Texas at San Antonio Police Department website has various information on campus safety. They are committed to ensuring that our students, faculty, administrators, and guests have a safe and pleasant experience while on any of the UTSA campuses. This site will provide you with information on the services provided by your police department and how you can access services. It will also provide you information on safety and incidents you should be aware of which may have occurred on or in the proximity of our campuses.

Q. Where can my student park?

A. Business Auxiliary Services offers two parking permit options to meet your needs. Parking permits are required for parking in all surface parking areas, except pay-by-hour spaces. Students order permits online through their MyParking Account.

Q. Do I have to select a meal plan to live on campus?

A .All students living in Chaparral Village, Laurel Village, and Alvarez Hall are required to purchase a meal plan, except as otherwise stated. See the Meal Plans website for more details.

Q. I requested to live in a specific building, but did not get assigned there. Why?

A. We make every attempt to place you in your requested location, but numerous variables control your placement like date of contract, availability and limitation of space.

Q. Why didn’t I get placed with the roommate I asked for?

A. Many variables control whether or not you will be assigned with a roommate that you requested. You must be sure that the person has also specified you as a roommate. Both housing contracts and deposits should be mailed in together. All requests should be made early in the application process. Finally, there are still no guarantees that student will be matched up together. When this happens students will be allowed to make a room change after census day, in order to match up with friends.

Q. What happens if I move in, and I don’t feel that I can get along with my new roommate?

A. Meeting a new roommate and living with someone new can be a hard transition. The Office of Housing and Residence Life encourages all new roommates to take the time to get to know one another. Emergency room changes are done throughout the semester on a case by case basis. Room changes are done based on availability and with authorization from the Office of Housing and Residence Life located in the City Center of Laurel Village. The RA staff is trained on assisting students to talk things over and to come to an agreement. Many times a short mediation between the students is all that is needed to get everyone on the right track. Students are encouraged to see their RA prior to coming to the central office.

Q. When will the student’s school bills reflect a housing and meal plan charges?

A. The student’s ASAP account will reflect housing and meal plan charges by late July for Fall semester. If a housing charge and meal plan charge are not reflected on the bill then it is due to one of the following conditions:

  • The student has not officially applied for housing or a meal plan by completing a housing contract or meal plan contract online.
  • The student has applied, but has not submitted the $200.00 security deposit with the housing contract.
  • The student has applied for housing and is waiting to be officially assigned. Late contracts will delay assignment placement.

Only after the student has been officially assigned will a housing charge be placed on the student’s bill.

Q. What if I have a special condition that requires special accommodations?

A. Students who apply and have a special need must supply a written letter (on physicians’ letterhead paper, no notes) from their attending physician indicating their recommendation for their housing needs with the office of Disabilities Services. All recommendations are reviewed and decided upon afterwards. Special requests should be made early while rooms are available.

Q. List of provided room furnishings?

A. Each student is assigned a desk, desk chair, twin size bed frame and a twin size mattress (80 inch), dresser, nightstand and a closet. All bedrooms are wired for network, cable and phone service. Common areas include (remove “a”) kitchen refrigerator, microwave, cabinets and sink. The bathrooms include a toilet, shower, sink, vanity countertops, cabinet and mirror. Living rooms include a couch, chair, coffee table, and entertainment center.

Q. Are the rooms carpeted?

A. All units have carpeting in the living room and bedrooms. The kitchen and bathroom are tiled.

Q. What size bed linen should I bring?

A. Laurel Village has extra long Mattresses sizes are 80". We recommend that you bring extra-long flat sheets. Chaparral Village has mostly twin regular mattresses, with a few rooms having the extra long mattresses.

Q. Is smoking permitted in the room?

A. Smoking is prohibited in all residential buildings. Also, in an effort to promote a positive and healthful physical environment for students, smoking is prohibited within 30 feet of any building. Designated smoking areas are located around residential complexes.

Q. Can I bring a computer?

A. Yes, all bedrooms are equipped with a network jack. You will need to bring an Ethernet cord.

Q. Do I need to bring blinds or curtains?

A. Each window is furnished with blinds. We do not recommend that you bring your own window treatments.

Q. Can I bring a pet?

A. No! No animals or pets of any type are permitted (including lab specimens) in the residence halls or apartment complexes exception for fish in a tank no larger than 5 gallons. However, a registered service animal is permitted is permitted if documented as a special accommodation approved through the office of Disability Services.

Q. When should I receive my housing deposit back?

A. Student who leaves the university or are approved for cancellation with the housing office should anticipate their security deposit being applied to any outstanding balance with UTSA. Any funds remaining will then be sent back to their address on file in ASAP in about 6-8 week after the semester ends provided that:

  • they have submitted a "Intent to Vacate" form or cancellation notice by the deadline
  • they have no damages charged to their account
  • they do not owe the University any money

Live Chat Hours: Mon - Fri throughout the day 10:00am-5:00pm.

Ask a question and we'll answer as quickly as possible. If we are unavailable, leave a message with your name and email we will get back to you soon.