Mission, Goals and Objectives
The Office of Institutional Research serves to provide the highest quality of institutional research to advance the university's mission through collection and reporting of institutional data, research and data analysis, and the support of institutional effectiveness related to:
- Access to and excellence in higher education in South Texas;
- Research and discovery, teaching and learning, and public service;
- Embracing of multicultural traditions of South Texas;
- Serving as a center of intellectual and creative resources; and
- Being a catalyst for the economic development of Texas.
In order for the university to accomplish its Mission, the Office of Institutional Research sets the following Goals:
- Provide timely and accurate information via regular and ad hoc reporting of institutional data to internal and external audiences.
- Provide analyses designed to answer critical questions regarding Mission-related institutional performance.
- Provide administrative support for institutional effectiveness activities, especially regarding evaluation of teaching and student learning outcomes assessment.
The Goals of the Office of Institutional Research will be attained through accomplishment of their respective Objectives:
- Submit all reports and data for which it is responsible to federal and state agencies by the required due date with no errors.
- Provide timely responses to all internal or external ad hoc requests for information. Information provided will contain no errors and, when deemed appropriate given federal and state reporting regulations, meet the requested due date.
- Respond to other requests for regular or ad hoc reports or data not identified above in a timely fashion with no errors and, when deemed appropriate, meet the requested due date.
- Effectively conduct research and analysis designed to answer questions regarding overall institutional goals, specific programs, activities, or initiatives.
- Provide effective assistance to others on campus who are conducting research, including aspects of research design, statistical analysis, and reporting of results.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate compliance with the requirements of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges institutional effectiveness standards.
- Provide effective support for the administration, scoring, and interpretation of surveys of students regarding faculty teaching effectiveness.
- Effectively coordinate and serve as a consultant to departments regarding student learning outcomes assessment activities and reporting associated with those activities.