UTSA Rising Researchers Summer Bootcamp 2013
(Information pending for Summer 2014)
- Are you curious about what types of cutting edge research is being performed right here at UTSA?
- Are you thinking about performing biomedical or behavioral (psychology) research as a career? Biomedical fields include: biology, biophysics, computational biology [CS], biochemistry and biomedical engineering).
- Do you want to learn about undergraduate research opportunities at UTSA and how to enter a research lab?
- Are you interested in learning more about doctoral education in the biomedical or behavioral sciences, and how to plan for PhD program admission?
- On June 1, 2013, will you be you a UTSA sophomore or above, with one year or more remaining prior to graduation?
If you've answered Yes to these questions...
THE RISING RESEARCHERS BOOTCAMP IS FOR YOU!
Dates: May 14-17, 2013 ** 8:30 am - 5:00 pm daily
Students who complete all aspects of the Bootcamp will receive a $100 Scholarship for Fall 2013!
The UTSA Rising Researcher Bootcamp can help launch you towards your future! Completion of the Bootcamp will also give a student additional positive consideration if they apply to the RISE, MARC U*STAR, LSAMP, or McNair Research Training Programs, when openings become available!
Bootcamp activities will include:
- Tours of UTSA research laboratories
- Exercises in critical thinking
- Introduction to laboratory techniques
- Seminars by UTSA researchers
- Meetings with undergraduate and graduate level students
- Instruction on how to gain research experience at UTSA
- Workshops on entering and succeeding in a research lab
- Introduction to UTSA research training programs
- Visit from UTSA's Graduate School
- Personal statement creation
- Instruction in preparation strategies for doctoral education
Upon completion of this one-week program, participants will receive the scholarship (in the following Fall semester) and will be assisted in applying for campus research programs or in finding a research laboratory in which to volunteer.
- Have the interests in lab research, research training, and doctoral education, as described above.
- Have an established UTSA GPA (at least one semester).
- Be prepared to take the program seriously and fully participate.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled full time at UTSA for the upcoming Fall semester.
- Plan to stay at UTSA throughout your undergraduate years.
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Be majoring in Biology, Biomedical Engineering, have biomedical interests in Chemistry and Physics, or be majoring in Psychology.
EITHER are classified as being from a group that is underrepresented in the sciences
- African American
- American Pacific Islander
- Native American or Native Alaskan
OR are eligible for Pell or other federal grants
We are sorry, but students are responsible for arranging their own housing during this activity.
Applications are being accepted for Summer 2013!
Early consideration Application Deadline for Summer 2013 extended until
Tuesday morning (April 30) at 8:00 AM!
Hints on the Online Application
The Rising Researchers application is an electronic document which asks for contact, academic, career goal, and demographic information. As you finish individual pages of the application, you will be able to pause then restart again if needed. Instructions are provided on the first page of the application.
On the application there are independent questions that together comprise a personal statement. You may want to pre-think and write these so that you come up with your best answer. Don't stress out with these questions...just answer them as best as you can.
The questions are:
- What is your eventual career goal and why did you choose it (if known)?
- Why do you want to participate in the Program?
- What interests you about scientific research?
- Describe any past research experiences (if any).
- Any other information that is relevant to your application that you want to the committee to know.
For more information, contact Dr. Gail Taylor.