2019 Summer Bootcamp will run from May 15-17
UTSA Rising Researchers Summer Bootcamp
- Are you curious about what types of cutting edge research is being performed right here at UTSA?
- Are you thinking about performing biomedical or behavioral (psychology) research as a career? Biomedical fields include: biology, biophysics, computational biology, biochemistry, and biomedical engineering).
- Do you want to learn about undergraduate research opportunities at UTSA and how to enter a research lab?
- Are you interested in learning more about doctoral education in the biomedical or behavioral sciences, and how to plan for PhD program admission?
- On June 1, will you be you a UTSA sophomore or above, with one year or more remaining prior to graduation?
If you've answered Yes to these questions...
THE RISING RESEARCHERS SUMMER BOOTCAMP IS FOR YOU!
The UTSA Rising Researcher Bootcamp can help launch you towards your future! Completion of the Bootcamp will also give a student additional positive consideration if they apply to the RISE, MARC U*STAR, LSAMP, or McNair Research Training Programs, when openings become available!
- Tours of UTSA research laboratories
- Exercises in critical thinking
- Introduction to laboratory techniques
- Seminars by UTSA researchers
- Meetings with undergraduate and graduate level students
- Instruction on how to gain research experience at UTSA
- Workshops on entering and succeeding in a research lab
- Introduction to UTSA research training programs
- Visit from UTSA's Graduate School
- Personal statement creation
- Instruction in preparation strategies for doctoral education
Upon completion of this one-week program, participants will receive a $200 stipend and be assisted in applying for campus research programs or in finding a research laboratory in which to volunteer.
- Have the interests in lab research, research training, and doctoral education, as described above.
- Have an established UTSA GPA (at least one semester).
- Be prepared to take the program seriously and fully participate.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be enrolled full time at UTSA for the upcoming Fall semester.
- Plan to stay at UTSA throughout your undergraduate years.
- Have a minimum 2.8 GPA.
- Be majoring in Biology, Microbiology/Immunology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Physics
Be underrepresented in the sciences for one of the following reasons:
- African-American, American Pacific Islander, Hispanic, or Native American/Alaskan Native
- Financially disadvantaged (eligible for Pell grants or equivalent)
- Disability recognized by the UTSA Disability Services
We are sorry, but students are responsible for arranging their own housing during this activity.
Hints on the Online Application
The Rising Researchers Bootcamp application is an electronic document which asks for contact, academic, career goal, and demographic information. As you finish individual pages of the application, you will be able to pause then restart again if needed. Instructions are provided on the first page of the application.
On the application there are independent questions that together comprise a personal statement. You may want to pre-think and write these so that you come up with your best answer. Don't stress out with these questions...just answer them as best as you can.
The questions are:
- What is your eventual career goal and why did you choose it (if known)?
- Why do you want to participate in the Program?
- What interests you about scientific research?
- Describe any past research experiences (if any).
- Any other information that is relevant to your application that you want to the committee to know.
For more information, contact Dr. Gail Taylor.