UTSA Science Transfer Academy
The UTSA Science Transfer Academy was created to support and connect transitioning community college students with the UTSA research community.
- Weekly sessions during the transfer semester
- UTSA faculty mentoring and student researcher peer support
- Enhanced orientation to the scientific and academic support resources at UTSA
- Strategies for maintaining grades in the larger classes of a four-year university
- Visits and tours of UTSA research laboratories
- Intensive introduction to the PhD and how to prepare for doctoral training in biomedically-oriented sciences
- $300 scholarship for successful completion of the program
To successfully apply to the UTSA Sciences Transfer Academy you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a full time UTSA student
- Be a first semester transfer student interested in biomedical research as a career
- Be majoring in Biomedical Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, or have biomedical interests as a Physicist
Be underrepresented in the sciences for one of the following reasons:
- African-American, American Pacific Islander, Hispanic, or Native American/Alaskan Native
- Financially disadvantaged (eligible for Pell grants or equivalent)
- Disability recognized by the UTSA Disability Services
Hints on the Online Application
The Science Transfer Academy application is an electronic document which asks for contact, academic, career goal, and demographic information. As you finish individual pages of the application, you will be able to pause then restart again if needed. Instructions are provided on the first page of the application.
For more information, contact Dr. Gail Taylor.