STANDARD FOR OFFICE COMPUTER PURCHASES
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Office of Information Technology
Office of Information Security (OIS) Standards
OIS 24 – Standard for Office Computer Purchases
I. STANDARD STATEMENT
The Office of Information Technology is tasked with providing support for computer equipment at the university.
This standard supports HOP Policy 8-12 Information Resources Use and Security Policy.
This standard applies to all UTSA faculty, staff, and students.
If you have any questions about OIS 24 – Standard for Office Computer Purchases) contact the following office:
The Office of Information Security
- In order to provide the best possible customer service, it is important to attempt to strike a balance between providing requirements for supportable hardware or software and allowing the university community to acquire the equipment they need. Therefore, the following purchasing guidelines must be followed:
- All Windows-based laptop and desktop computers purchased for office use after October 1, 2013 must have a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip installed. The inclusion of a TPM chip allows for the installation of data encryption software, which is required for all university-owned laptops and desktops, as mandated by UT System.
- All Apple computers must have the most current operating system installed. OIT Support Services will not provide support for computers running an operating system earlier than Mac OS X 10.7.
- Computer purchases will be reviewed by the UTSA Purchasing Department to ensure this standard is being followed.
- Any deviation from these guidelines must be submitted to and approved by the UTSA Office of Information Security.
2. Additional Recommendations:
a. Purchasing an Apple computer to run exclusively in the Windows environment is strongly discouraged. If you intend to run a Windows operating system on your computer, OIT recommends you purchase a Windows-based machine.
b. Faculty and staff members with questions about computer equipment can contact OIT Connect, via email at email@example.com or by calling 210-458-5555.
Effective Date: January 1. 2012
Last Revised: December 3, 2013