Freshman | Spring Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
On-Campus: Spring Orientation for Freshmen
New Student Orientation – Spirit, Pride & Tradition:
- One-day program designed to meet the needs of all incoming freshman and freshman transfer students and introduce them to the UTSA community
- Orientation begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 6:00 p.m.
- Participants must be available during this entire time
- All freshman and freshman transfer students are required to attend all orientation sessions. Failure to comply will result in students not being able to register for classes.
Schedule at a Glance
Show your SPIRIT by wearing your favorite UTSA gear. You will begin your Orientation experience with orientation check-in and UTSA Department Resource Fair. Spend the rest of the morning with your fellow new students, learning about UTSA. Academic advising and course registration will take place in the afternoon. Students can also take care of any business on campus prior to departing.
- The Spring 2017 schedule will be available soon
Students will receive a detailed schedule at orientation. This schedule is subject to change without notice.
Please be aware that the orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Online Orientation: Spring Orientation for Freshmen
Freshmen students who cannot attend an on-campus orientation program will have the opportunity to participate in an online orientation experience.
- The online orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Online orientation will only become available, after all on-campus orientations are complete and prior to classes beginning for the Spring semester.
- No exceptions will be made for completing online orientation prior to this time.
- Students will register for the online orientation program in ASAP and complete the modules in Blackboard Learn.
- Students must successfully pass the quiz at the end of the online orientation with a 90% or better for their orientation hold to be outdated.
- The online orientation DOES NOT include academic advising therefore students must contact their academic advising center to schedule and complete their required advising appointment.
- Online orientation DOES NOT include testing therefore students must contact Testing Services to complete testing.
- Log in to your ASAP account to review and take care of any other possible university holds you may have.
- ASAP Main Screen > Student Services > Student Records > View Holds
- Please note that your advising appointment and course registration can only happen AFTER you successfully complete online orientation.
What to Bring
- Download the Orientation Checklist to ensure a smooth orientation experience.
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1)
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during on-campus orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit for the on-campus orientation can be found in your confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
- Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bauerle Road Garage (located on the opposite / south side of campus) or the Ximenes Garage
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with Business Auxiliary Services.
Orientation Housing & Meals
Orientation Housing—Not Available for Spring
Between the fall and spring semester, current UTSA students are still housed at various UTSA residence halls, therefore orientation housing is not available for the spring orientation programs. There are several hotels in close proximity to the UTSA Main Campus with special rates for UTSA students, families and guests.
Meals at Orientation
Orientation participants will be given a meal card at check-in. This meal card is preloaded with money for your lunch and can be used at the assigned dining venue on campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests that wish to attend the Family Orientation program need their student to register them in advance. Family Orientation is a separate program track for guests that runs concurrently with New Student Orientation. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For more on the program, visit the Spring Family Orientation page
The Student Orientation program is a closed program for pre-registered new students only. Guests cannot attend sessions with students.