Freshman | Summer Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
On-Campus: Summer Orientation for Freshman
Roadrunner Roundup – Spirit, Pride & Tradition:
- One-day program designed to meet the needs of all incoming freshman and freshman transfer students and introduce them to the UTSA community
- Orientation begins at 7:30 a.m. and ends at 5:30 p.m.
- Participants must be available during this entire time
- All freshman and freshman transfer students are required to attend all orientation sessions. Failure to comply will result in students not being able to register for classes
Schedule at a Glance
Show your SPIRIT by wearing your favorite UTSA gear—hats, t-shirts, pants, backpacks. You will begin your Roundup experience with orientation check-in. After check-in and the opening session, you will spend the day with your Orientation Leader and fellow new students, becoming familiar with UTSA’s campus, academic resources, student life and meeting faculty, staff, and administrators. Academic advising and course registration will take place in the afternoon. Students can also take care of any business on campus at the end of the day.
Please be aware that the orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Online Orientation: Summer Orientation for Freshman
Freshman students who cannot attend an on-campus orientation program will have the opportunity to participate in an online orientation experience.
- The online orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Online orientation will only become available in late May, after all on-campus orientations are complete and prior to classes beginning for the summer semester.
- No exceptions will be made for completing online orientation prior to this time.
- Students will register for the online orientation program in ASAP and complete the modules in Blackboard Learn.
- The online orientation DOES NOT include academic advising therefore students must contact their academic advising center to schedule an advising appointment.
- Please note that course registration can only happen AFTER you successfully complete all online orientation modules and your orientation hold is lifted.
UTSA’s Qualitative Literacy Program (QLP)
Quantitative Literacy Assessment Test (QLAT)
The QLAT is a requirement for all students entering UTSA
- It will be taken during Orientation
Note: Online Orientation students will need to contact Testing Services directly to take the exam on their own; the QLAT is not available through online orientation.
- This exam will not be used for math placement but for course enrichment purpose
- REQUIRED of all majors
- Exam time is 30 minutes
- Multiple choice format
- For more information, contact Testing Services at 210-458-4125
What to Bring
- Download the Orientation Checklist to ensure a smooth orientation experience.
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1), formerly Lot 5
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit can be found in your confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed (ex: Brackenridge BK1 – formerly Lot 5)
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
- Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bosque Street Garage (located on the opposite / south side of campus)
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with UTSA Business Auxiliary Services Parking Division.
Orientation Housing & Meals
Orientation Housing - Not Available for Summer Orientation:
Between the spring and summer semester, current UTSA students are still housed at various UTSA residence halls, therefore orientation housing is not available for the spring orientation programs. There are several hotels in close proximity to the UTSA Main Campus with special rates for UTSA students, families and guests.
Meals at Orientation
Orientation participants can be given a meal card at check-in. This meal card is preloaded with money for your lunch and can be used at the assigned dining venue on-campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests who wish to attend the Family Orientation program need their student to register them in advance. Family Orientation is a separate program for guests that runs concurrently with Roadrunner Roundup (new student orientation). Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For more on the program, visit the Summer Family Orientation page
The Student Orientation program is a closed program for pre-registered new students only. No guests are permitted into the Student Orientation Program unless space is available on site.