Freshman | Summer Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
On-Campus: Summer Orientation for Freshmen
New Student Orientation – Spirit, Pride & Tradition:
- One-day program designed to meet the needs of all incoming freshman students and introduce them to the UTSA community
- Orientation begins at approximately 7:30 a.m. and ends at approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Participants must be available during this entire time
- All freshman students are required to attend all orientation sessions. Failure to comply will result in students not being able to register for classes
Schedule at a Glance
Students will receive a detailed schedule at their orientation program. This schedule is subject to change without notice.
Please be aware that the orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Online Orientation: Summer Orientation for Freshmen
Freshmen students who cannot attend an on-campus Orientation program will have the opportunity to participate in an Online Orientation experience in May, click here for details.
What to Bring
- Download the Orientation Checklist to ensure a smooth orientation experience.
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation Center
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1), formerly Lot 5
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit can be found in your orientation confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed (ex: Brackenridge BK1 – formerly Lot 5)
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
- Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Ximenes Garage (located to the right of the Brackenridge Rd Lot 1)
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with UTSA Business Auxiliary Services Parking Division.
Orientation Housing & Meals
No on-campus Orientation housing is available, please visit the UTSA Family Association page for a list of recommended hotels near the UTSA Main Campus.
Meals at Orientation
Orientation participants will be provided a lunch as part of their Orientation experience. The meal will either include a pre-set catered lunch or a meal card preloaded with money to use at dining venue on-campus.
*As a reminder, due to the orientation schedule, all students are required to eat on campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests who wish to attend the Family Orientation program need their student to register them in advance online during the Orientation Sign Up process. Those family members and guests who attend summer term on-campus freshman Orientation will shadow their student as they complete the days’ activities and various sessions. They will have the opportunity to learn information about academic policies and procedures, financial aid, advising and much more. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
|Freshmen Student's Family/Guest Fees: Summer 2017|
|Family Orientation Fee||$35 per person*|
*Children, age 9 and under, are free of charge. All orientation fees are placed onto your student's tuition and fees bill.