Transfer | Fall Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
- Held at the Main Campus
- One-Day Program – approximately 7:30 a.m. – approximately 6:30 p.m.
- Designed to introduce new transfer students to academic policies and student services unique to UTSA and introduce them to the UTSA community. Students who attend on-campus orientation will:
- Receive a tour of the campus
- Meet with faculty and staff
- Take care of university business
- Receive an individual appointment with an academic advisor, to prepare for course registration
- Show your SPIRIT by wearing your UTSA gear – hats, t-shirts, pants, backpacks – show them off
Please be aware that the orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Directions and Parking
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation Center
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1), formerly Lot 5
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit can be found in your orientation confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1 (formerly Lot 5)]
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
- Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Ximenes Garage (located to the right of the Brackenridge Rd Lot 1)
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with UTSA Business Auxiliary Services Parking Division.
Orientation Housing and Meals
On-Campus Short Stay Housing at University Oaks – One Day Orientation Program
If you are interested in reserving an overnight stay contact University Oaks directly at (210) 202-8446 or visit http://www.mystudentvillage.com/us/university-oaks/ Room availability is on first come first served basis. Payment and reservations are organized directly with University Oaks.
On-Campus Short Stay Housing at University Oaks - Pricing
$30 for 1 adult – half of unit* this includes 1 night of lodging
(1 bedroom with a twin bed)
$60 for a full unit* this includes 1 night of lodging
(includes entire 2 bedroom unit each bedroom with a twin bed)
Meals at Orientation
Orientation participants will either be provided with a lunch meal card preloaded with money that can be used at the assigned dining venue on campus or will be provided with a catered lunch on-campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests who wish to attend the Family Orientation program need their student to register them in advance. Those family members and guests who attend Transfer on-campus Orientation will shadow their student as they complete the days’ activities and various sessions. They will have the opportunity to learn information about academic policies and procedures, financial aid, academic advising and much more. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For more on the program, visit the Transfer Student Family Orientation page
|Transfer Student's Family/Guest Fees: Fall 2016|
|Family Orientation Fee||$35 per person*|
*Children under the age of 3 are free of charge. All orientation fees are placed onto your student's tuition and fees bill.
Online Orientation for Transfer Students
- Transfer students who cannot attend an on-campus orientation program will have the opportunity to participate in an online orientation experience at their own pace and convenience.
- The online orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Students will register for the online orientation program in ASAP and complete the modules in Blackboard Learn.
- Students must successfully pass the Final Online Orientation Quiz in Blackboard Learn with a 90% or better for their orientation hold to be lifted.
- Online orientation DOES NOT include a meeting with your academic advisor therefore students must contact their academic advising center to schedule an advising appointment.
- Transfer students can meet with an advisor at any time before, during or after new student orientation, but must complete both academic advising and orientation in order to register for classes.
- Online orientation DOES NOT include testing therefore students must contact Testing Services to complete testing.
- Log in to your ASAP account to review and take care of any other possible university holds you may have.
- ASAP Main Screen > Student Services > Student Records > View Holds