Transfer | Spring Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
Transfer orientation and academic advising are requirements for all new UTSA transfer students. Orientation & Family Programs offers transfer students two types of orientation program experiences to fulfill your orientation requirement: 1) On-Campus Orientation or 2) Online Orientation.
- Held at the Main Campus
- One-Day Program – 7:45 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Designed to introduce new transfer students to academic policies and student services unique to UTSA and introduce them to the UTSA community. Students who attend on-campus orientation will:
- Receive a tour of the campus
- Meet with faculty, staff and current students
- Take care of university business
- Meet with an academic advisor, to prepare for course registration.
Schedule at a Glance
Show your SPIRIT by wearing your favorite UTSA gear — hats, t-shirts, pants, backpacks. You will begin your Roundup experience with orientation check-in. After check-in and the opening session, you will spend the day with your Orientation Leader and fellow new students, becoming familiar with UTSA's campus, academic resources, student life and meeting faculty, staff, and administrators. Academic advising and course registration will take place in the afternoon. Students can also take care of any business on campus prior to departing.
Students will receive a detailed schedule at their orientation program. This schedule is subject to change without notice.
Walking Note: Please be aware that the on-campus orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Transfer students can select to participate in either an on-campus or online orientation program. The online orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Students will register for the online orientation program in ASAP and complete the modules in Blackboard Learn.
- Students must successful pass ALL orientation modules in Blackboard Learn with a 90% or better
- The online orientation DOES NOT include academic advising therefore students must contact their academic advising center to schedule and complete their required advising appointment.
- Students can meet with an advisor at any time before, during or after new student orientation but you must complete both academic advising and orientation in order to register for classes.
Directions and Parking
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1), formerly Lot 5
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during on-campus orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit for the on-campus orientation can be found in your confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1 (formerly Lot 5)]
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
- Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bosque Street Garage (located on the opposite / south side of campus)
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with UTSA Parking and Transportation.
Meals and Suggested Accommodations
On-campus orientation housing is not available for the transfer student programs. However, there are several hotels in close proximity to the UTSA Main Campus with special rates for UTSA students, families and guests.
Meals at Orientation
On-campus orientation participants will be given a meal card at check-in. This meal card is preloaded with money for your lunch meal and will be used at the assigned dining venue on campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests that wish to attend the Family Orientation program for the on-campus program need their student to register them in advance. Guests will attend orientation sessions with their student. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Student Orientation program is a closed program for pre-registered new students only. No guests are permitted into the Student Orientation program without a reservation..