Transfer | Spring Orientation What to Expect at Orientation
Transfer orientation and academic advising are requirements for all new UTSA transfer students. Orientation & Family Programs offers transfer students two types of orientation program experiences to fulfill your orientation requirement: 1) On-Campus Orientation or 2) Online Orientation.
- Held at the Main Campus
- One-Day Program – 7:45 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Designed to introduce new transfer students to academic policies and student services unique to UTSA and introduce them to the UTSA community. Students who attend on-campus orientation will:
- Meet with an academic advisor, to prepare for course registration
- Attend a UTSA Deparment Resource Fair
- Attend various sessions about UTSA services & resources
- Receive a tour of the campus
- Meet current UTSA transfer students along with faculty, staff and administrators
- Take care of university business
Schedule at a Glance
You will begin your Transfer Orientation experience with orientation check-in and UTSA Information Fair. Spend the rest of the morning with your fellow transfer students learning about UTSA. Academic advising and course registration will take place in the afternoon. Students can also take care of any business on campus prior to departing.
Students will receive a detailed orientation schedule at Transfer Orientation check-in.
Walking Note: Please be aware that the on-campus orientation experience includes EXTENSIVE WALKING. Please plan accordingly as the university does NOT provide any mobility assistance equipment.
Directions and Parking
Driving Directions from Downtown San Antonio
- From I-10 West & UTSA Blvd
- Exit UTSA Blvd from I-10 West
- Turn left on UTSA Blvd
- Turn right onto campus on Edward Ximenes Drive
- Turn left at the first stop sign (George Brackenridge Rd)
- Parking Lot BK1 will be on your right and left near the Convocation
- Park in any unmarked parking space located in Brackenridge Rd Lot 1 (BK1)
A temporary orientation parking permit is required and must be displayed to park on campus during on-campus orientation. Below is more information on parking for orientation:
- The temporary permit for the on-campus orientation can be found in your confirmation letter after you register in ASAP
- Follow all parking policies listed on this permit. Failure to do so will result in a parking citation
- The temporary permit will be marked with the dates that the permit is valid
- The temporary permit is good for unmarked spaces only in the designated parking lot listed [ex: Brackenridge Rd Lot 1, BK 1
- DO NOT park in Faculty/Staff or 24 HR RESERVED spaces
- DO NOT park in fire lanes, reserved spaces, service areas, loading zones, University Vehicle spaces or restricted areas
- The permit must be visible on your dashboard at all times to avoid receiving a citation
Pay-by the hour parking is available in the Bosque Street Garage or the Ximenes Garage
Any vehicle parked in violation of UTSA parking regulations will be cited. If you receive a citation at orientation, you will need to file an appeal with UTSA Parking and Transportation
Meals and Suggested Accommodations
On-campus orientation housing is not available for the transfer student programs. However, there are several hotels in close proximity to the UTSA Main Campus with special rates for UTSA students, families and guests.
Meals at Orientation
On-campus orientation participants will be given a meal card at check-in. This meal card is preloaded with money for your lunch meal and will be used at the assigned dining venue on campus.
Family and Guests
Family and guests that wish to attend the Family Orientation program for the on-campus program need their student to register them in advance. Guests will attend orientation sessions with their student. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Student Orientation program is a closed program for pre-registered new students only. No guests are permitted into the Student Orientation program without a reservation.
- For more on the program, visit the Transfer Student Family Orientation page
Online Orientation for Transfer Students
- Transfer students who cannot attend an on-campus orientation program will have the opportunity to participate in an online orientation experience at their own pace and convenience.
- The online orientation is filled with valuable information about UTSA services, resources, academic policies and much more!
- Students will register for the online orientation program in ASAP and complete the modules in Blackboard Learn.
- Students must successfully pass with a 90% or better for their orientation hold to be outdated.
- Online orientation DOES NOT include a meeting with your academic advisor therefore students must contact their academic advising center to schedule an advising appointment.
- Transfer students can meet with an advisor at any time before, during or after new student orientation, but must complete both academic advising and orientation in order to register for classes.
- Online orientation DOES NOT include testing therefore students must contact Testing Services to complete testing.
- Log in to your ASAP account to review and take care of any other possible university holds you may have.
- ASAP Main Screen > Student Services > Student Records > View Holds