Thank-you letter Guidelines and Tips
Thank you letters are a mandatory condition of accepting most scholarships at UTSA. A thank-you letter should be sincere, expressing appreciation without excessive flattery. The tone should be pleasant. Donors appreciate receiving a thank-you letter. Your thank-you letter assists in persuading a donor to renew their contribution to a scholarship.
As a guide to help you write your thank-you letter, we have provided you with some tips on what to include in your letter. While we would like you to follow these guidelines, they are not restrictions on how to write your letter.
Things to be included in your letter
- Educational Background (your year in school and major)
- Accomplishments/Achievements (obstacles you have overcome to attend college)
- Extracurricular Activities (stories about a relevant extra curricular or community service project that impacted your life)
- Goals and Aspirations (your future plans-both immediate and long term; include career you wish to pursue)
- Mention your appreciation for the scholarship that you received, and your plans for utilizing the funds. ("Thank you for making this scholarship possible" or "Your scholarship makes it possible for me to concentrate more fully on my courses.")
- Remember that the donor did not select you as the recipient, but provided the funds for the scholarship, i.e. "Thanks for making the Oak Hills Rotary Scholarship possible......"
Tips on writing your letter
- Address your letter to: (Donor contact name, given to you by the Scholarship Office or Department/College )
- Your thank you letter can be handwritten or typed. Either is acceptable, however if handwritten it must be neat and legible.
- The use of a thank you card, personal stationary or plain stationary is acceptable.
- Be concise in your letter, but sincere.
- State what the thank-you is for by using the full and correct scholarship name and donor contact name provided in your award letter.
- Make sure that you sign your letter.
- Make sure that, upon final inspection, your letter has a neat appearance.
- Check all spelling and grammar after you have completed your letter. (Have a reliable person such as a counselor or English teacher proof read your letter)
Please DO NOT put a date on your letter!
C/O UTSA Scholarships
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, Tx 78249-0687
Dear Mr. Edwards:
As a recipient of the Edwards Family Scholarship, I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your support of UTSA and its students. It means a lot to students such as myself that you believe in our efforts to reach our higher educational goals.
I am a sophomore in the College of Business pursuing a degree in infrastructure assurance. During my free time, I volunteer at the University of Medical Center’s Cancer Center where I tutor children who are not able to attend school regularly due to their illnesses. I continue to help by participating in the Kids Dance Marathon that helps raise fundraisers for pediatric cancer patients. I have also become a member of the UTSA Ambassadors where I represent the university at functions such as commencement.
My future goals involve seeking a career in a major business corporation where I can oversee all infrastructure equipment on classified and unclassified enterprise networks to support operations. In two years I plan to graduate with the university honor of summa cum laude. When I complete my degree at UTSA, I feel more than competent to complete my career goals and future endeavors.
As an orphan, I have had many emotional and physical barriers constraining my efforts to continue my education. I have come across every obstacle that would hinder my higher education and I have overcome every single one with the help of supporting individuals and organizations. The Edwards Family Scholarship has helped me tremendously focus more on my education rather than seeking full time employment to pay for my school. Without this scholarship I may not have been able to achieve a 4.0 throughout my sophomore year.
Once again thank you for your generous gift to UTSA and its students. Your support will go a long way in achieving my educational and career goals.
6904 North Loop 1604 West
San Antonio, TX 78249