Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What type of scholarships does UTSA offer and how do I apply?

Answer: UTSA has three types of scholarships:

General Scholarships: Are awarded through the Office of Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services. First-time freshman and new transfer students MUST apply for general scholarships at Continuing undergraduate and graduate students must apply using the General Scholarship Application, located on ASAP. The General Scholarship Application deadline for Freshman on ApplyTexas is December 1st of each year, and February 15th for Transfer and Continuing students. Students are encouraged to apply for admissions and complete the FAFSA by March 15th. Only students who have been admitted to UTSA by this date will be considered for a scholarship. A list of all General Scholarships and the criteria for each scholarship is listed at

Departmental Scholarships: The various departments/colleges on campus have their own General Application (College of Business/Liberal & Fine Arts, etc.) A list of all departmental scholarships and the criteria for each scholarship is listed on Most departments have a February 15th deadline, but there are others with varying deadlines. Contact your college or department for details and application procedures.

Miscellaneous Scholarships: These scholarships are from donors outside of UTSA. Students get applications from these outside sources throughout the year. Some of these are from web searches, local organizations, etc. The Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center displays outside scholarship applications on a rack in the area near the computers in the hall way near the front of the entrance to the Enrollment Services Counter. These are continually updated. Students are encouraged to come by at least once a month and browse through these applications to see if they meet the eligibility requirements.


Question: What criteria are the scholarships based on?

Answer: Criteria can vary from one scholarship to another, but awarding is primarily based on:

  • academics only (GPA, SAT or ACT scores, ranking in HS)
  • need based and academics (must complete FAFSA to determine need)
  • special eligibility requirements (major, HS, residence, etc.)
  • combinations of any of the above


Question: Can I fill out and submit the General Scholarship Application on line?

Answer: Yes. The General Scholarship Application for Continuing UTSA Students and Graduate Students is now an electronic process, located on ASAP (Automated Student Access Program). The application deadline is February 15th of each year.


Question: Do I need to complete the UTSA General Scholarship Application each year?

Answer: Yes. The submission deadline is always February 15th in order to be considered for scholarships for the upcoming academic year. Students awarded renewal scholarships do not need to reapply unless they want to be considered for other General Scholarships at UTSA.


Question: My General Scholarship Application was submitted before February 15th, but was not considered for review. Why not?

Answer: Incomplete applications received on or before February 15th will not be considered for review.

Back to top


Question: Some of the scholarships I feel I am qualified for requires an essay. Why is it important for me to apply for scholarships requiring an essay?

Answer: You will not be considered for that scholarship if you do not submit the required essay and/or other required documentation. Fewer students apply for scholarships requiring an essay. Your chances of being awarded a scholarship are increased by competing for those that require an essay, provided you meet all other criteria of the scholarship.


Question: Can I be considered for departmental scholarships using the General Application?

Answer: No, not at this time. Currently, each department has a separate scholarship application, although most of them have the same deadline of February 15th.


Question: Can I apply for more than one scholarship?

Answer: Yes, students can apply for as many scholarships in which they meet all the eligibility requirements. However, you should not apply for scholarships in which you do not qualify.


Question: I submitted a General Application. Why have I not heard anything?

Answer: Applications that are incomplete or received without required attachments or received after the deadline date, will not be considered.

Only students who were selected will be notified with an award letter. We have a high volume of applications compared to the number of scholarships to be awarded.


Question: Is my scholarship award renewable?

Answer: All award letters for a General Scholarship will include if it is renewable or not. If it is a departmental or outside donor scholarship this information should be on the award letter also, but if not, you will need to check with the department or donor.


Question: My scholarship is renewable. Why didn't I get it this semester/year?

Answer: Criteria must be maintained to renew a scholarship. Below are reasons a student can become ineligible.

  • GPA dropped below requirement
  • number of hours completed or enrolled dropped below requirement
  • change in major
  • funding unavailable


Question: I cannot receive my scholarship until the donor receives an official UTSA enrollment verification. What is that, and where do I get one?

Answer: Students can request the letter at the Office of Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services (1604 or downtown). Forms are also available on ASAP. UTSA's Enrollment Verification is an official document, signed by the registrar, stating that students are actually enrolled. Enrollment is considered official after the twelfth day of class (census date).


Question: I have a form for a scholarship that needs to be filled out by Financial Aid. Where do I go to get this done?

Answer: Submit the form to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services counter, located on the first floor of the John Peace Library on Main Campus. This form can also be submitted to the downtown office. They will notify you once the form is ready to be picked up (usually in 3-5 business days).


Question: What is Census date, and how does it affect my receiving scholarship funds?

Answer: Census date, taken at the end of the twelfth day of class each semester, is when students are considered officially enrolled at the University. With the exception of a few outside scholarships that require funds to be disbursed at specific times, all other scholarship funds will disburse 10 days prior to the start of class each semester.


Question: I received a scholarship check sent directly to me. It was made payable to both UTSA and myself. What do I do with the check so I can receive funds?

Answer: Scholarship checks payable to both the student and UTSA must be signed by the student and submitted to Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center for processing.

**It is important to keep address information current! Students can update addresses online using Banner/ASAP.


Question: I received a scholarship check sent directly to me, and it was made payable to me. I also received financial aid from UTSA. What should I do with the check?

Back to top

Answer: Students can either take their check to Fiscal Services to apply to their account balance or deposit it at their own bank; however students MUST submit an Outside Donor Scholarship Form to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services; the scholarship funds must be factored into the student’s financial aid package. Students can view this award on ASAP as Fund #700 (2 party check).


Question: I decided not to attend UTSA, but I am a recipient of a UTSA-awarded scholarship. How do I transfer the scholarship to the school I am attending?

Answer: Students awarded UTSA Scholarships are ineligible to transfer their scholarships to other institutions. The scholarship was awarded with the expectation that the student would attend UTSA.


Question: I decided not to attend UTSA, but I am a recipient of a scholarship from an outside source, and the donor has already sent the funds to UTSA. Will UTSA transfer the funds to the school I am attending or return them to the donor?

Answer: UTSA's Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center will not transfer scholarship checks to another institution; however, funds will be returned to the donor in a timely manner, beginning after Census date. Students should contact the donor to update any information that may affect eligibility.


Question: Has my check been set to the University for my scholarship from an outside donor?

Answer: The award letter the student received should indicate if check would come to them or the University. Student is encouraged to contact the organization to find out when the check will be mailed to UTSA.


Question: What is the UTSA Joint Admission Agreement Scholarship, and how do I apply?

Answer: UTSA Joint Admission Agreement Scholarship is available only to students transferring to UTSA from Alamo Community College District (ACCD) campuses - San Antonio College, St. Philip's College, Palo Alto College and Northwest Vista College.

Prospective students must:

  • complete a minimum of fifty semester hours (including hours in progress of transferable college credit)
  • maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on all coursework
  • be in good academic standing
  • not have earned more than six hours of college credit from any institution other than the school from which the applicant transferred.
  • demonstrated financial need as determined by the (FAFSA) Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Applications must be submitted prior to the students' first semester at UTSA. Scholarships are awarded for four consecutive fall and spring semesters, $450 per semester. Applications are available at the ACCD campuses and at UTSA's Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center. Deadlines are December 1 for the spring semester and February 15 for the fall.

Back to top


Question : Where do I submit my San Antonio Education Partnership certificate or card, and when will I receive my money?

Answer: Submit a copy of your certificate or card (not letter) to the Enrollment Services Center or place in the drop box (write your UTSA banner ID). The funds are disbursed after census date of each semester.


Question: I received a notice from a scholarship donor to which I applied, informing me I needed to be eligible for financial aid in order to receive a scholarship. How do I become eligible for financial aid at UTSA?

Answer: To determine eligibility to receive financial aid at UTSA, a student must be admitted and second complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available from your high school counselor, the UTSA Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center or can be completed on-line from the internet at Completing the on-line version is highly encouraged as you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) in about two weeks as opposed to six or more weeks.


Question: What is a FAFSA and when should I submit one?

Answer: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Department of Education uses the information provided on the FAFSA to determine eligibility for aid from the federal student financial assistance programs. Many of the scholarships offered by UTSA require a FAFSA to be on file. Completing a FAFSA is free and can be submitted on-line at or on a paper form, which can be picked up at the Office of Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services. Be sure to submit your FAFSA as soon after January 1st as possible. UTSA's priority deadline for the FAFSA is March 15th.


Question: Why should I complete a FAFSA when I know I won't qualify for any grants? What does a FAFSA have to do with being awarded a scholarship?

Answer: There are many types of awards available through FAFSA that you may qualify for, such as other federal/state grants, work study, and student loans.

  • Most of our General Scholarships, as well as some departmental, and many outside scholarships require the student to demonstrate financial need.
  • Even if you don't receive grants, you can still demonstrate need. The only way to do this is by filling out the FAFSA each year.


Question: I am an out-of-state ( or international student). Are there any scholarships in which I can qualify for the in-state tuition rate?

Answer: Competitive scholarships and Teaching Assistantships (TA) or Research Assistantships (RA) are the only means in which students can get the in-state tuition rate. Contact your department for more information.

Back to top


Question: I am a graduate student. Where can I get information about scholarships?

Answer: Graduate Studies Office keeps a database of scholarship information for graduate students. Few scholarship opportunities are available to graduate students through the General Scholarships, however, most UTSA departments will offer scholarships or fellowships to graduate students. Graduate students are also encouraged to look on the Scholarships Web site link 'Types of Scholarships'.


Question: Are there scholarships for part-time students?

Answer: Most scholarships require students to be full-time (at least 12 credit hours), however there are very few for part-time students. Go to the Scholarship Web site to read criteria for each scholarship.


Question: Does my departmental or outside scholarship affect my financial aid award?

Answer: It can. This is why you need to contact your Financial Aid Counselor to discuss adjustments that may need to be made or turning in special circumstance or other required documentation.


Question: I will be attending UTSA in the spring. What scholarship opportunities are available for mid-term freshmen or transfer students?

Answer: Generally, UTSA awards its scholarships on a yearly basis - fall and spring- so mid-year scholarship opportunities are scarce, with exceptions from colleges who award grants that pay stipends and tuition. The Student Financial Aid & Enrollment Services Center regularly posts information and applications for non-UTSA scholarships throughout the year (on a rack near Enrollment Services Center). In addition, students can go to the Internet and conduct scholarship searches. The Scholarships Web site has a link called 'Types of Scholarships' with information and web sites regarding outside scholarships.


Question: I need to withdraw from UTSA. Will I have to pay back any scholarship funds?

Answer: You may or may not depending on the circumstances:

  • UTSA-awarded scholarships: Students may be responsible for returning funds based on when they withdraw. If they withdraw before census date, scholarship funds that disbursed will be pulled back and create a balance on the student's account. If they withdraw after census, there is no action taken to pull back the funds.
  • UTSA-awarded scholarships: Students that withdraw in Fall and return in Spring forfeit their eligibility for those funds for the rest of the academic year.
  • Outside scholarship funds: We may return funds to donors, as well. It is subject to the criteria of the particular scholarship so a Scholarship Officer will need to contact the donor.
  • Outside scholarship funds: Students that withdraw in the Fall should contact their donor regarding future eligibility.


Question: I received a scholarship notice that said all I needed to do to receive the scholarship was to send the donor some personal information and a check for $20. What should I do?

Answer: It is highly advised that student NOT give personal information and NOT send money to organizations offering scholarships for a fee. Students should not send money to "foundations" or "search committees" that claim the "donations" or "search fees" will guarantee scholarships. Such organizations may not have your best interests at heart. To find out if an organization is legitimate or you think it is a scam, report it to one of the following organizations:

  • National Fraud Information Center (NFIC) 1-800-876-7060
  • Better Business Bureau (BBB) 1-703-276-0100

Back to Top