Excellence in Research
UTSA is home to the nation’s top cybersecurity program, an interdisciplinary approach that spans three colleges: the College of Business, College of Engineering and College of Sciences. Research centers and outreach programs provide UTSA students and faculty with additional opportunities to explore the various facets of this high demand and ever-changing field.
Students at UTSA may choose to specialize in computer science, computer engineering or information systems. Additional programs are offered in data center design, network and data center management, digital forensics and data analytics.
UTSA has three research centers: the Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security, the Institute for Cyber Security and the Cyber Center for Security and Analytics. Research conducted at UTSA aims to combat global security challenges encountered by individuals, industry, government and the military. The university’s research specialties include information security management and strategy, applied network and information systems security, government and industry cyber preparedness, and secure software and hardware design and engineering.
Students from across the United States can now earn a UTSA degree. In fall 2017, UTSA began offering a fully online B.B.A. in Cyber Security. Students in the online degree program have access to the same vast cybersecurity expertise that UTSA students currently experience on-campus.
Graduates of UTSA are heavily recruited and are employed quickly. They are hired in governmental positions with the NSA, FBI and CIA; with major companies like Booz Allen, Ford Motor Co, and Rackspace; and with the military at the 24th Air Force and Air Force Office of Special Investigations, which is headquartered in San Antonio. The average starting salary for an undergraduate is $60,000-80,000.
- B.B.A. Cyber Security Degree
UTSA’s first fully online degree
UTSA Research Centers and Institutes
Areas of Specialty
- Information security management and strategy
- Applied network and information systems security
- Government and industry cyber preparedness
- Cyber crime and digital forensics
- Secure software engineering
- Data mining for security
- Programming languages and compilers
- Embedded systems
- High performance computing
UTSA Cybersecurity in the News
- Cloud-focused cybersecurity center at UTSA aims $5M at unfilled jobs
- UTSA professor weighs in on Wikileaks' CIA documents release
- DHS grant supports research into espionage prevention
Homeland Security News Wire
- UTSA snags two grants for cybersecurity education amid hiring spree
San Antonio Business Journal
- New study describes method to detect online dishonesty
Hong Kong Herald
- UTSA develops cybersecurity card game for kids
News 4 San Antonio
- Here’s how hackers might mess with electronic voting on Election Day
- Computer security experts from around the world gather at UTSA
News Radio 1200 WOAI
- Jetstream, the NSF-funded “Science” Cloud, launches
- UTSA finds its niche in a dangerous digital world
The Rivard Report
- Op-Ed: The time is now to prevent a cybersecurity workforce crisis
U.S. News and World Report
- Bill to combat cyberattacks in higher ed passes House
— Times Higher Education
— Bloomberg Businessweek
— Ponemon Institute/Hewlett-Packard
National Center of Academic Excellence designation in:
Cyber Operations Fundamental
Information Assurance Research
— National Security Agency / Department of Homeland Security
UTSA at a Glance
Top Quartile Freshmen
Financial Aid Recipients
157 degree programs
Library Print, Photograph and E-resources
Local Economic Impact
Research and Development Expenditures
The University of Texas at San Antonio is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. As an institution of access and excellence, UTSA embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development - for Texas, the nation and the world.
To be a premier public research university, providing access to educational excellence and preparing citizen leaders for the global environment.
UTSA’s Core Values
We encourage an environment of dialogue and discovery, where integrity, excellence, inclusiveness, respect, collaboration and innovation are fostered.