Week of Welcome
UTSA students participate in first Rowdy Days
(Aug. 18, 2004)--For the first time in its 35-year history, UTSA will kick off the fall semester with Rowdy Days (FAQ). The two-day event jump-starts the annual Week of Welcome celebration with fun, games and good advice for all incoming freshmen.
Whether it's things veteran students think all freshman should know, or things faculty wish students knew, Rowdy Days is the place to get all the answers. Sessions on academic and student life, presentations by individual colleges and an ice cream social are all part of the time students will spend with their volunteer Spirit Guides.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
So, put on your Roadrunner-best blue and orange and take time out to join in UTSA's first Rowdy Days on Monday and Tuesday, August 23-24. You don't want to miss a chance to "Dunk the Dean," or strut your stuff at "Let's Get Rowdy!"
All freshmen and freshman transfer students are required to participate in Rowdy Days.
Links to full schedule of Downtown Campus and 1604 Campus Rowdy Days events.
Students attending the Downtown Campus can catch a bus ride (Frio Street Building circular drive, meet at 8:30 a.m. for 9 a.m. departure) to the 1604 Campus for the events.
- Check-in, Convocation Center, 9:30 a.m.
- Featured Speaker: James Mickey, vice president, Sprint Store Management, and UTSA alumnus, Convocation Center, 10:30–11 a.m.
- Breakout Sessions Track I: Academic and Student Life, 11:15 a.m.-noon
- Lunch, Convocation Center east lawn, noon-1 p.m.
- Let's Get Rowdy, Convocation Center, 1:15-2 p.m.
- Breakout Sessions Track II: Academic and Student Life, 2:15-3 p.m.
- Students attending the Downtown Campus can catch a bus ride back to the Downtown Campus for the remaining Downtown Campus Rowdy Days I events. Meet at Convocation Center, 3:15 p.m. (3:30 p.m. departure).
- Special Populations Meetings, 3:15-5 p.m. (Learning Communities, CAP Program, Athletes, International Students)
- "Set Yourself Up for Academic Success," HSS 3.04.12, 3:15-4 p.m., 4:15-5 p.m. (An interactive workshop to get you prepared and organized for your classes.)
- "Why a Liberal and Fine Arts Education?" HSS 3.02.18, 3:15-4 p.m. (Learn more about a degree from the College of Liberal and Fine Arts and meet successful alumni.)
- "Don't Waste Fun," Rec Center, 3:15-5 p.m. There is something for everyone!
- Welcome to the Downtown Campus, Frio Street Building Sam Riklin Auditorium (1.406), 3:45-4:30 p.m. (Welcome remarks by Jesse Zapata, vice provost, Downtown Campus, and a special presentation.)
- Students attending the Downtown Campus not in the School of Architecture (SOA) or the College of Public Policy (COPP), can catch a bus ride (Frio Street Building circular drive, arrive at 9 a.m. for 9:15 a.m. departure) to the 1604 Campus for the events. SOA and COPP orientations are at the Downtown Campus in Frio Street Building Sam Riklin Auditorium (1.406) or Buena Vista Street Building Aula Canaria (1.328), 10-11 a.m. SOA and COPP students will gather to ride buses to the 1604 Campus at the Downtown Campus Frio Street Building circular drive, 11:15 a.m.
At the 1604 Campus:
- College Orientation by major, 10-11:30 a.m. (Assemble at Convocation Center east lawn at 10 a.m. and be escorted to your college. Meet the faculty, staff, administrators and fellow students within your college and get connected. This is for students in the College of Business, College of Education and Human Development, College of Sciences and College of Engineering.)
- Freshman Safari for Undeclared Majors, Physical Education Building Gyms, 10-11:30 a.m. (Meet your academic adviser, Tomas Rivera Center staff, fellow students, and build a survival kit for your success!)
- Lunch, Convocation Center east lawn, 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Ice Cream Social, Convocation Center east lawn, 2:30-3 p.m.
- Students attending the Downtown Campus can catch a bus ride back to the Downtown Campus for the remaining Downtown Campus Rowdy Days II events. Catch the bus at the Convocation Center, 3 p.m. (3:15 p.m. departure).