UTSA inaugurates Family of the Year essay contest
(Feb. 4, 2005)--The UTSA Family Association and the Office of Orientation and Transition Services are inaugurating the Family of the Year Award during UTSA Homecoming-Family Weekend, Feb. 21-27 to celebrate the many kinds of families and support systems that help students succeed.
At UTSA, "family" means individuals and group members who support their students, including parents, spouses, partners, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, close friends and others. Families prepare students to meet the challenges of higher education and provide financial and emotional support throughout their college careers.
The new award celebrates the supportive roles families play in the lives of UTSA students and the university community. Honoring an outstanding family reminds the UTSA community that families are an essential part of the support network for students as they work to achieve their higher education goals.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
To nominate your family for this year's UTSA Family of the Year Award, submit a typed essay of no more than 800 words describing why your family is a great UTSA family. The submission deadline is 5 p.m., Monday, Feb. 14. The family chosen "Family of the Year" will be notified by phone Wednesday, Feb. 16.
E-mail essays to email@example.com or submit essays at the Advising Center, Buena Vista Street Building Room 1.304, Downtown Campus or Orientation and Transition Services, University Center Room 1.00.40, 1604 Campus.
The winning family receives:
- UTSA Bookstore gift package
- Complimentary tickets (up to 4 family members) to the Homecoming-Family Weekend women's and men's basketball games, Feb. 26 against UT Arlington
- Weekend accommodations (one room, two-night stay) at Westin La Cantera Resort
- Commemorative Homecoming poster signed by the artist and T-shirts
- Commemorative plaque presented to the family Saturday, Feb. 26 at halftime during the men's basketball game
- Feature stories in campus newspaper and on the UTSA Web site
For more information, contact Diane Elizondo at (210) 458-4724.