UTSA sponsors Family of the Year essay contest
By Tim Brownlee
Assistant Director of Public Affairs
(Jan. 26, 2006)--The UTSA Family Association and the Office of Orientation and Transition Services are sponsoring the second annual Family of the Year Essay Contest to celebrate the many kinds of families and support systems that help students succeed.
At UTSA, "family" means individuals and group members who support their students, including parents, spouses, partners, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, close friends and others. Families prepare students to meet the challenges of higher education and provide financial and emotional support throughout their college careers.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
To nominate your family for this year's UTSA Family of the Year Award, submit a typed essay of no more than 800 words describing why your family is a great UTSA family. The submission deadline is 5 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 2.
Essays can be submitted at the Advising Center, Buena Vista Street Building Room 1.304, Downtown Campus or Orientation and Transition Services, University Center Room 1.00.40, 1604 Campus. Submissions also can be e-mailed to Melissa Ozuna. The family chosen as "Family of the Year" will be notified by phone on Tuesday, Feb. 7.
The contest celebrates the supportive roles families play in the lives of UTSA students and the university community. Honoring an outstanding family reminds the UTSA community that families are an essential part of the support network for students as they work to achieve their higher education goals.
Download the Family of the Year Essay application.
The winning family receives:
- Complimentary tickets for your family (up to 4 members) to the Homecoming-Family Weekend men's basketball game Saturday, Feb. 11 against Lamar University
- A commemorative homecoming poster signed by the artist and t-shirts
- A commemorative plaque presented to the winner and family Saturday, Feb. 11 during the men's basketball halftime
- A gift package from the UTSA Bookstore (confirmation pending)
- Weekend accommodations (one room, two-night stay) at the Westin La Cantera Resort (confirmation pending)
For more information, contact Orientation and Transition Services at (210) 458-4724 or visit the Orientation and Transition Services essay information Web page.