'Go Red for Women' raises heart disease awareness
By Adi Pavlovic
Student Writer, College of Liberal and Fine Arts
(Feb. 1, 2006)--UTSA's observance of the American Heart Association's "Go Red for Women" campaign in February features events to bring attention to heart disease in women -- the leading cause of death among women over age 25 in the United States.
Events will be at both the 1604 and Downtown campuses and are open to the entire UTSA community. National Wear Red Day is Feb. 3.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
"Wear Red Day is an opportunity for everyone to remember their female friends and family members who have suffered from the disease," said Alice Jacobs, M.D., American Heart Association president. "It's also a time to think about their own hearts and take charge of their own health."
Started in February 2004, "Go Red for Women" is an American Heart Association national and global campaign to raise awareness and empower women to reduce their risk of heart disease.
The campaign provides women with information on healthy eating, exercise and risk-factor reduction, such as smoking cessation, weight maintenance, blood pressure control and blood cholesterol management.
For more information, visit the "Go Red for Women" Web site. For more information about UTSA events, contact Student Health Services at (210) 458-6419.
"Go Red for Women" events
- "Go Red for Women Outreach," 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Frio Street Building commons, Downtown Campus.
- Healthy Heart Speaker, 1-2 p.m., Frio Street Building Multipurpose Room (1.402), Downtown Campus
Feb. 3 -- National Wear Red Day
- Free luncheon, fashion show and lecture, noon-1:30 p.m., John Peace Library Building Regents' Room (4.03.12), 1604 Campus.
- Go Red for Women Outreach, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., John Peace Library Building food court, 1604 Campus
- A Healthy Heart Health Fair, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., John Peace Library Building Executive Room (4.03.10), 1604 Campus. Free blood glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure, body fat, foot and spinal screenings
Feb. 11 - Diploma Dash, 8 a.m. registration, 9 a.m. race, Convocation Center, 1604 Campus
- A "Go Red" team will wear "Go Red for Women" t-shirts in the Diploma Dash. To join the UTSA "Go Red" team, contact Jac Perry at (210) 458-6419.
- "Go Red for the Women You Love Fashion" Extravaganza, 6 p.m., Chaparral Village pool, 1604 Campus. More information: Alicia Triplett, Residence Life, (210) 458-6200
- The UTSA Go Red Committee sponsors half-time activities during the women's basketball game against UT Arlington, Convocation Center, 1604 Campus.
- The Recreation Center at the 1604 Campus hosts a heart healthy demo kitchen, 6 p.m.