UTSA presents Communication Week March 27-31
By Adi Pavlovic
Student Writer, College of Liberal and Fine Arts
(March 27, 2006)--The UTSA Department of Communication will host the fourth annual Communication Week from March 27 to March 31. The week will feature presentations, workshops and other events to celebrate the discipline and professions of communication.
Communication Week is celebrated each spring semester with speakers from UTSA and communication professionals from San Antonio and across Texas. All events are free and open to the public.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
This year's speakers include Cassandra Miranda, Mansour El-Kikhia, Steven Levitt, Jasmine Hasty, Ryan Pollack, Kenton Wilkinson, Jim Dublin, Lisa Dollinger, Russel Kyse, Rudy Ruiz, Russel Kyse and Aida Daher.
The keynote speakers include Robert Jensen and Thomas Graham.
Robert Jensen is an associate professor in the School of Journalism at the University of Texas in Austin. Jensen joined the UT Austin faculty in 1992 after completing his Ph.D. in media ethics and law in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Minnesota.
Prior to his academic career, he worked as a professional journalist for a decade. In his research, Jensen draws on a variety of critical approaches to media and power. Much of his work has focused on pornography and the radical feminist critique of sexuality and men's violence. In more recent work, he has addressed questions of race through a critique of white privilege and institutionalized racism.
In addition to teaching and research, Jensen writes for popular media, both alternative and mainstream. His opinion and analytic pieces on such subjects as foreign policy, politics, and race have appeared in papers around the country.Jensen will speak on Monday, March 27 at 11 a.m. in the Humanities and Social Sciences Building Room 2.01.44 at the 1604 Campus. He will speak on "Getting Away with Murder (Literally): Presidential Lying, Journalistic Malfeasance and the Manipulation of Public Opinion."
Thomas Graham is the senior vice president and deputy general manager with Edelman Southwest. With two decades of media, marketing and public relations experience, Thomas provides strategic counsel to the firm's reputation management, business-to-busines, crisis, corporate branding and public affairs clients. Graham joined Edelman in 2002, reestablishing the firm's Austin presence and helping to make Edelman one of the region's most influential communications consultancies. Graham will speak on "The Me2 Revolution" at 6 p.m., Tuesday, March 28 in Main Building Room 0.104 at the UTSA 1604 Campus.
A featured speaker during the week's events is Lisa Dollinger, chief communications officer with Clear Channel Communications, who will speak on Clear Channel Communications: San Antonio's Link to Global Media from 2-3:15 p.m., Wednesday, March 29 in Business Building Room 3.04.18, 1604 Campus. The lecture will be broadcast to Frio Street Building Room 2.520, Downtown Campus.
Dollinger has had leadership positions in broadcasting, outdoor advertising and live entertainment. Drawing on more than 17 years of experience in strategic communications and marketing, she provides executive leadership for the company's communications initiatives, acting as chief communications strategist and spokesperson for company. She directs corporate communications and branding, reputation and issues management, strategic positioning of the company's diverse global assets, media relations, consumer viral marketing, strategic sponsorships and employee communications. She also works with executive management on litigation, public policy and financial communications.
For more information, contact the Department of Communication at (210) 458-5990.
Communication Week events
Monday, March 27
- "How to Find Your Niche in Communication: Start Now!" Cassandra Miranda, American Heart Association. 9-9:50 a.m., HSS 2.02.16
- "Getting Away with Murder (Literally): Presidential Lying, Journalistic Malfeasance, and the Manipulation of Public Opinion." Robert Jensen, Associate Professor at the School of Journalism, UT Austin. 11 a.m.-12:45 p.m., HSS 2.01.44
- "Misperceptions in Arab-western Communication" Student roundtable discussion introduction by Mansour El-Kikhia, UTSA Associate Professor and Chair of the Department of Political Science and Geography. Co-sponsored by the Office of Institutional Diversity. 5:30-7 p.m. MB 0.106
Tuesday, March 28
- Open forum with Communication Department Chair Steven Levitt. 2 - 3:15 p.m., UC Willow Room 2.01.12
- Keynote Address: "The Me2 Revolution." Thomas Graham, Senior Vice President, Deputy General Manager, Edelman Southwest. 6-7:30 p.m., MB 0.104
Wednesday, March 29
- "Real World Technical Communication." Ryan Pollack, National Instruments 11 - 11:50 a.m., MB 0.326 and BB 3.03.02
- "Mexican Television and Political Change in the Free Trade Era." In conjunction with the UTSA Mexico Center Brown Bag Lecture Series. Kenton Wilkinson, UTSA Associate Professor. 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., BV 1.338, Downtown Campus.
- "Communication Can Be Good for You" Jim Dublin, Dublin & Associates. 12:00 - 12:50 p.m., MB 0.222
- "Clear Channel Communication, San Antonio's Link to Global Media." Lisa Dollinger, Chief Communication Officer, Clear Channel Communications. 2:00 - 3:15 p.m., BB 3.04.18 and FS 2.5
- "Research and Creative Project Presentations by Communication M.A. Students" Students enrolled in the Communication M.A. program will present their work to faculty and peers in a forum hosted by Sara DeTurk's Qualitative Research Methods class. 5:30-6:45 p.m., MB 0.326.
Thursday, March 30
- "Multicultural Marketing Trends" Rudy Ruiz, President and Chief Creative Officer, Intelex, 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m., HSS 2.01.44
- "What Can I Do With A Degree In Communication?" Jasmine Hasty, UTSA Career Services. 2-3:15 p.m., HSS 3.04.28.
- "Communication in the Business World." Russel Kyse, Kyse & Associates. 2:00 - 3:15, HSS 2.02.04
Friday, March 31
- "Cultural/Intercultural Communication." Aida Daher. 10-10:50 a.m., MB 0.306