Student body elects new SGA president, vice-president
By Barry McKinney
Associate Director of Student Activities
(April 10, 2006)--The UTSA Student Government Association (SGA) conducted a run-off election for its top offices, president and vice president positions April 11-12. The new SGA president will be Adam Cowdin. The vice-president will be Christian Porter.
The election results were certified April 13. SGA election winners will be sworn into office at the SGA Inauguration Banquet Sunday, April 23. (Run-off election results are listed below.)
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
UTSA students cast their votes using the ASAP online information system until 11:59 p.m., Wednesday, April 12.
General election results conducted two weeks ago were announced April 6 by the UTSA Office of Student Activities at the 1604 and Downtown campuses. A runoff election was scheduled when no candidate for a position received a 50 percent majority of the vote in the general election.
Adam Cowdin, a junior accounting major from Austin, was just short of the majority in the general election with 49.6 percent of the vote. He faced opponent Enrique Vazquez, a junior business major from El Paso. Vazquez received 23 percent of the vote in the general election.
The vice president race was between Jude "Alpha" St. Croix, a junior international business major from San Antonio and Christian Porter, a sophomore business major from McLean, Va. St. Croix received 38.9 percent of the vote in the general election, while Porter received 37.1 percent of the vote.
Along with Cowdin and Porter, among the winners two weeks ago in the SGA general election were Christina Gomez, who won the treasurer position, and Lauren Williams, who will serve as secretary. Click to see the results from the general election.
For more information, contact Barry McKinney, associate director of student activities and SGA adviser, at (210) 458-4160.
The results of the SGA run-off election:
Total Number of Students Enrolled at UTSA
- 25,783 Students
Total Number of Students Voting
- 974 Students or 3.8% of total students eligible to vote
President Election Results
- Adam Cowdin 622 votes or 63.9% of students voting
- Enrique Vasquez 352 votes or 36.1% of students voting
- Christian Porter 558 votes or 57.3% of students voting
- Jude St. Croix 373 votes or 38.3% of students voting
Not Voting 43 or 4.4% of students voting