UTSA provost announces 23 faculty promotions
By Tim Brownlee
Assistant Director of Public Affairs
(May 19, 2006)--The UTSA Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs announces 23 faculty promotions effective Sept. 1, 2006, following approval by the UT System Board of Regents.
Seven faculty members will be promoted from tenured associate professor to professor. Eight will advance from untenured assistant professor to tenured associate professor with mandatory review. Seven faculty members will be promoted from untenured assistant professor to tenured associate professor with early review.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
One retired professor was named professor emeritus. No faculty members were promoted from associate professor without tenure to associate professor with tenure.
Faculty hired on the tenure track have a mandatory performance review in their sixth year of employment. With the goal of securing tenure status, faculty hired without tenure have the option to request an early performance review during their second through fifth years.
If they are not granted tenure in an early review, there is no penalty. Faculty not earning tenure during the mandatory review receive one more year of employment with contract termination at the end of that year.
Promotion within Tenure Ranks (Associate Professor with Tenure to Professor)
- Waldemar Gorski, Department of Chemistry
- Janis Harmon, Department of Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching
- Roxanne Henkin, Department of Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching
- George Negrete, Department of Chemistry
- Elizabeth Pate, Department of Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching
- Rolando Quintana, Department of Management Sciences and Statistics
- Thomas Thomson, Department of Finance
Promotion to Tenure, Mandatory Review (Assistant Professor without Tenure to Associate Professor with Tenure)
- Felecia Briscoe, Department of Educational Leadership and Political Studies
- David Bruenger, Department of Music
- J. Keith Clutter, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Biomechanics
- Manuel Diaz, Department of Computer and Electrical Engineering
- Kristen Gardner, Department of History
- Kevin Grant, Department of Information Systems
- Patricia McGee, Department of Counseling, Education and Higher Education
- Katsuhiko Shimizu, Department of Management
Promotion to Tenure, Early Review (Assistant Professor without Tenure to Associate Professor with Tenure)
- Lance Lambert, Department of Earth and Environmental Science
- John McCluskey, Department of Criminal Justice
- William McCrary, Department of Music
- Harry Millwater, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Biomechanics
- Peter Pfordresher, Department of Psychology
- Page Smith, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
- Stephen Temple, Department of Architecture
- Bess Hieronymus, Department of Music