UTSA Alumni Association hosts Rising Star Gala Aug. 19
By Marcia Mattingly
UTSA Office of Alumni Programs
(July 12, 2006)--The UTSA Alumni Association will recognize its own rising stars at the seventh annual Alumni Rising Star Gala on Saturday, August 19 at the Westin La Cantera Resort.
Realtor Dayton Schrader ('93) will be honored as the Alumnus of the Year and a posthumous Distinguished Service Award will be given to Bonnie Terry ('83), San Antonio community activist who died earlier this year.
Gala co-chairs are Yvonne Fernandez ('85) and Renee Crittenden-Garcia ('96). Honorary chairs are Irma Flores ('80) and Tony Flores. The emcee is KSAT-TV anchor Steve Spriester.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
Artist and alumnus Steve DaLuz ('03) has created a one-of-a-kind art star again this year that will be available for sale in the silent auction.
The silent auction and cocktail reception with music by the UTSA Marimba Ensemble begin at 6:15 p.m., and dinner is served at 7:30 p.m. The program begins at 8:20 p.m. Dance to the Newsboyz from Austin until midnight.
There will be no live auction this year, but the popular Power Drawing is back -- and tickets go on sale June 30 at $20 each or 3 for $50. Eight winning tickets will be drawn on gala night, and a winner does not have to be present to win.
Items in the Power Drawing:
- Grand week for two at Grand Cayman Tortuga Bay Club including air fare
- NASCAR-themed pinball machine
- Valero gas card worth $2,000
- Sunset gourmet sailing trip on Lake Travis
- 2 Southwest airlines round-trip tickets and a Marriott gift certificate
- Rounds of golf at San Antonio's most prestigious clubs
- Spurs souvenir package including limousine to dinner and two tickets to a Spurs season game
- Men's 18k Movado watch.
Table sponsorships for the event are available at the Rising Star level for $3,500, Shooting Star level for $2,500 and Lone Star level for $1,500. Sponsor tables seat eight. Rising Star and Shooting Star sponsors will have one student scholarship named for them for the 2007-2008 academic year. Individual tickets are $125.
A portion of the gala proceeds benefits the UTSA Alumni Association Scholarship Fund. Last year the gala raised more than $58,000 for scholarships.
To sponsor a table, make a reservation, buy tickets or volunteer with other alumni, visit the Alumni Association Web site or call the Office of Alumni Programs at (210) 458-4133.