UTSA Soccer team
Roadrunner Days: UTSA hosts Aug. 25 kickoff for first soccer game
By Kyle Stephens
UTSA Sports Information Director
(Aug. 22, 2006)--The excitement is building on the UTSA campus as the Roadrunners are just four days away from officially opening their inaugural soccer season against Texas Tech.
With anticipation of the athletics department's 16th intercollegiate sport getting underway -- the celebration begins at 5:30 p.m.,Friday, Aug. 25 as the Roadrunners' Marketing and Promotions Department hosts the UTSA Soccer Kickoff Party. The event is next to the track and field complex on the 1604 Campus.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
"I want to personally invite all UTSA students, faculty and staff, as well as the San Antonio community, to our kickoff festivities on Friday night," said head coach Steve Ballard. "We are excited about the opening of our first season and want everyone to be a part of our soccer family."
Highlights of the party include:
- Free pizza and drinks
- Live band "Johnny Drama"
- UTSA Spirit Squad
- Giveaways: 500 rally towels with the soccer schedule and 100 UTSA Soccer T-shirts
- Rowdy shoot-out -- Students will shoot a penalty kick on Rowdy at halftime for a chance to win two free Spurs tickets
- UTSA players will sign autographs and be available for photos after the game
- Dream Runner participants from various schools will be in attendance
Before the 7 p.m. kickoff, up-and-coming local performer Natasha Klatt will sing the national anthem. Klatt, a 23-year-old San Antonio native and former UTSA student, has performed since age four and has her sights on being a star in the Christian music industry.
Read more at the UTSA Athletics Web site.