UTSA students at University Center
'Walk & Roll' challenge touts commuting choices
By Mark Munguia
Associate Director of Campus Recreation
(May 29, 2007)--To promote the use of alternative modes of transportation in the San Antonio region, several organizations will host the "Walk & Roll Corporate Challenge" in June. UTSA employees and students are challenged to log their "smart-commute" miles as they walk, cycle, carpool or take the bus to work or class.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
Sponsored by the Alamo Area Council of Governments (AACOG), Metropolitan Planning Organization and City of San Antonio, the goal of the program is to accumulate 500,000 smart miles -- the equivalent of removing more than 1,800 pounds of pollutants from our air. An accomplishment of that type means everyone is a winner because we're all breathing easier.
Organizations in the AACOG 12-county region are eligible to participate including Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Frio, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Medina and Wilson counties. The organization with the best record will receive the Walk & Roll Commuters Challenge Cup.
New this year is awarding mileage points for choosing to stay in the office for lunch. If an employee brings his or her lunch or chooses to use the company cafeteria, he or she will accrue an additional two miles for the day.
Find a link to the AlterNetRides Ride Sharing Service at the UTSA Parking and Transportation Services Web site. Miles accumulated when sharing a ride to work or class count toward the cup.
For more information, call (210) 458-7373.
Accepting the challenge is as easy as 1-2-3
- Visit the Walk & Roll Corporate Challenge Web site.
- Select "Pledge" and complete the form, indicating the number of smart miles you intend to commute to and from work (lunch time counts).
- From June 1 through June 30, record your smart miles at the site by selecting "Log Your Miles."