From left: Zulma Toro-Ramos, Marek Dollár, Jeffrey Seemann, John Frederick, Gail Hackett
Provost candidates to visit UTSA Oct. 29-Nov. 6
By Tim Brownlee
Assistant Director of Public Affairs
(Oct. 25, 2007)--A search committee seeking a new provost at The University of Texas at San Antonio selected finalists to meet with faculty, staff and students Oct. 29-Nov. 6 in public forums at UTSA.
Each candidate will visit UTSA to meet with faculty, staff, students and San Antonio community members. At left, view a schedule of the candidate forums.
The candidates are listed in order of campus visits. Select each bolded name below to download the candidate's curriculum vitae (pdf documents):
- Zulma Toro-Ramos -- dean, College of Engineering, Wichita State University, Wichita, Kan.
- Marek Dollár -- dean and professor of engineering science, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
- Jeffrey Seemann -- dean, College of the Environment and Life Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston
- John Frederick -- senior fellow, National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, Washington, D.C., and former executive vice president and provost, University of Nevada, Reno.
- Gail Hackett -- vice provost and dean, University College, Arizona State University, Phoenix
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
"The 19 members of the search committee worked with great dedication in this process to find candidates for provost," said James McDonald, chair of the UTSA Provost Search Committee and associate vice provost for academic and faculty support. "We encourage the university community to participate in the open forums with these outstanding candidates. We started with a strong pool of applicants, and are confident that a finalist will serve as a steward for UTSA's mission to move to the next level and premier research university status."
The committee is charged with providing UTSA President Ricardo Romo with an unranked list of three finalists. Romo will choose one of the candidates to succeed Rosalie Ambrosino, who stepped down in August to return to teaching and research. "The UTSA community is indebted to Jim McDonald and the search committee for their work in nominating five outstanding candidates for this crucial position," Romo said. "Each of these individuals is distinguished for his or her exemplary academic credentials; dedication to teaching, research and service; and breadth of administrative experience."
UTSA Provost Search Committee
- James McDonald, (chair) associate vice provost for academic and faculty support and professor of anthropology
- Alberto Arroyo, professor of civil engineering
- Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, chair of the Department of Biology
- Robert Baron, interim dean of the College of Architecture
- Walter Downing, executive vice president, Southwest Research Institute
- Ann Eisenberg, associate dean of the Honors College
- Mansour El-Kikhia, chair of the Department of Political Science and Geography and chair of Faculty Senate
- Leonard Flaum, diversity analyst, Office of Equal Opportunity Services
- Belinda Flores, associate professor of interdisciplinary learning and teaching
- Daniel Gelo, dean of the College of Liberal and Fine Arts
- Dennis Haynes, professor and chair of the Department of Social Work
- Raquel Marquez, chair of the Department of Sociology
- Yolanda Miller, director of purchasing and distribution services
- Janet Parker, associate vice president for financial affairs
- Carolyn Orange, professor of counseling and educational psychology
- Gage Paine, vice president for student affairs
- L.J. Shrum, professor of marketing
- Deborah Wagner, student representative
- Jesus Zuniga, community representative