UTSA presents Black History Month events
By Tanya Hulbert
Student Writer, College of Liberal and Fine Arts
(Jan. 28, 2008)--As part of the observance of Black History Month, a number of special events will be hosted in February at the UTSA 1604 and Downtown campuses. Coordinated by the UTSA Inclusion and Community Engagement Center, most of the events are free and open to the public.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
The UTSA African Student Association will present a dance performance in the month's kick-off event at 7 p.m., Monday, Feb. 4 in University Center Denman Room (2.01.28) at the 1604 Campus. Throughout the month, the community is invited to participate in movie nights, concerts, a dance performance and information sessions.
For more information call (210) 458-4770.
Highlights of Black History Month
- Tuesday, Feb. 5, noon: Teach Me Tuesday -- Tales of the Soul. A UTSA student will share tales of his life in Africa and his experiences in the United States. Durango Building Student Activities Center (1.302), Downtown Campus.
- Wednesday, Feb. 6, 7 p.m.: Movie Night: "Amistad." The movie is about the 1839 mutiny aboard a slave ship traveling to the northeast coast of America. University Center Denman Room (2.01.28), 1604 Campus.
- Tuesday, Feb. 19, 7 p.m.: Coffeehouse Open Mic Night. Students, faculty and staff are invited to share their poetry and songs.
- Thursday, Feb. 21, 7 p.m.: Soulful Showcase. A gospel concert sponsored by the UTSA Office of Student Activities. Buena Vista Theatre, Downtown Campus.
- Saturday, Feb. 23, 6 p.m.: Fourth Annual Black Heritage Ball. This year's theme is "Stand Up and Be Counted." Event will feature keynote speaker Rev. Thurmon Walker, dinner, music and dancing. Tickets are required. University Center Denman Room (2.01.28), 1604 Campus.
Download the full schedule of Black History Month events at UTSA.