UTSA Homecoming activities
Show us your Roadrunner at UTSA Homecoming 2008!
(Feb. 29, 2008)--Get ready to wear your orange and blue -- it's time to show us your Roadrunner, UTSA! UTSA Homecoming 2008 events continue through Saturday, March 1 with the theme "Tradition - Spirit - Pride."
Don't miss the Golf Cart Parade and Rowdy Rampage at 5:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 29 including a spirit rally, concert and fireworks show at the track adjacent to the Recreation and Wellness Center on the 1604 Campus. There will be music by Alpha Rev from Austin. The event is free and open to the public.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
More than 50 student organizations will participate in the Golf Cart Parade beginning at 6:15 p.m., Friday. The Spirit Rally is at 7:30 p.m., followed by the Fireworks Spectacular at 7:45 p.m. and more music from Alpha Rev. Bring coats, coolers and chairs for the family events. Student Government Association (SGA) will provide hot chocolate.
On Saturday, March 1, events begin with the Diploma Dash run/walk at 9 a.m. at the Convocation Center, 1604 Campus, followed by the Student Leader Reunion Luncheon at noon in the University Center Denman Room (2.01.28). The day will end with the Tailgate Party, the Homecoming men's basketball game and the After Party. The homecoming game is at 7 p.m. against the Corpus Christi A&M Islanders with the After Party at 9 p.m.
More about the Saturday events --
- The Student Leader Reunion Luncheon at noon is an opportunity for UTSA student leader alumni to get together with old and new friends, to enjoy Homecoming activities, to see and hear about changes to the campus and plans for the future, and to stay connected with the university. Speakers at the luncheon will be President Ricardo Romo and Athletics Director Lynn Hickey.
- Dessert receptions hosted by UTSA Ambassadors, orientation leaders, housing, registered student organizations and SGA will immediately follow the luncheon. The receptions give alumni the chance to meet current members of organizations with which they were affiliated at UTSA. Campus tours will be available before and after the receptions.
- The Homecoming Tailgate Party is at 4 p.m. in front of the Convocation Center. Grab your friends, a grill and join in the festivities before we tip off against the Islanders of A&M Corpus Christi. There will be an obstacle course, free rally towels, crafts, face painting, a performance from the spirit squad and other fun activities to get you ready for the game. One of Austin's hottest bands, Alpha Rev, will get the crowd rockin' before the game. If you don't have a grill, join the Campus Activities Board at their tent for a free hot dog and soda.
Read more about the full slate of events at the UTSA Homecoming 2008 Web site and
Editor's note: John Kaulfus, Pat Graham, Barry McKinney, Misty Kelley, Chris Hargraves and John Montoya contributed to this story.