Paul Ayala, '03, '05, president of the UTSA Young Alumni (left) and
Yvonne Fernandez, '85, president of the Alumni Association
Alumni Association, Young Alumni elect boards
By Marcia Mattingly
Marketing and Communications, Office of Alumni Programs
(June 10, 2008)--At the quarterly board meeting on April 26, the UTSA Alumni Association elected board members to serve for the 2008-2011 term. Also, UTSA Young Alumni elected board members. The organizations help alumni stay connected to the university.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
The Alumni Association board of directors is composed of 21 members, each of whom serve three-year terms. Each year, one third of the board member terms expire. A board member can serve up to two consecutive terms and then must rotate off the board for at least two years. Association officers are elected at the July board meeting.
Newly elected board members are:
- Patrick Clynes, '89, transportation manager, BP Energy, Houston
- Dinah Covert, '95, owner, Accreditation & Licensing Consultants (second term)
- Steven D. Eklund, '89, principal, Bury+Partners
- Rob Killen, '97, attorney, vice president, Kaufman & Associates Inc. (second term)
- Debbie Bolner Prost, '79, owner, Prost Marketing Inc. (second term)
- Cathy Starnes, '92, chief executive officer, employee benefits consulting division, Southwest Business Corp. (second term)
- Alicia C. Treviño, AIA, principal, DHR Architects
Returning board members are:
- Elva P. Adams, '95, vice president, senior business relationship manager, Wells Fargo Bank
- Melissa Aguillon, '95, '99, Economic Development Manager, City of San Antonio
- April Ancira, '03, vice president, Ancira Chrysler Jeep/Ancira Nissan
- Susan Campbell, '89, vice president, director of shareholder services, American Funds/Capital Group Companies
- Judy Juarez Crockett, '98, senior marketing specialist, Frost Bank
- Gerardo Escamilla Jr., '98, T&D engineer II, CPS Energy
- Patty Escobedo, '85, '93, director, elementary curriculum, Southwest Independent School District
- Yvonne Fernandez, '85, assistant vice president business services, Security Service Federal Credit Union
- Susan Filyk, '95, director of marketing, U.S. Global Investors
- Ron Garcia, '82, physician
- Tracy Jackson, '93, vice president internal audit, Tesoro Companies Inc.
- Steven Langley, '05, leasing manager, Nueces Energy Co.
- Wayne Terry, '85, recruiting manager, college relations, H-E-B
- Danny Zimmermann, '01, principal, Cleary Zimmermann Engineers
At the spring meeting of the UTSA Young Alumni, a president and the executive board were elected to serve terms for 2008-2009. The new president is Paul Ayala, who earned two degrees from UTSA, a bachelor's in 2003 and master's in business in 2005. He is the UTSA assistant director of orientation and family services.
"The purpose of the Young Alumni is to create a bridge for new graduates and the Alumni Association," said Ayala. "We want to help meet the needs of our growing young professionals and give them a way to stay connected to the university."
The executive board of Young Alumni includes Melissa Escobedo, '03, Joey Ramos, '00, Dan Iza, '08, Kristy Pacheco, '03, and Allen Schlesinger, '07.
For more information, contact the UTSA Office of Alumni Programs at (210) 458-4133.