Top photo: President Ricardo Romo (second from right) with Austin visitors
Bottom photo: Sen. Leticia Van de Putte receives an ITC docent badge from ITC's
John Davis before conducting a tour.
UTSA welcomes Capitol and UT System guests
By Kris Rodriguez
Public Affairs Specialist
(June 17, 2008)--UTSA President Ricardo Romo and university administrators welcomed 15 staff members from the State Capitol and University of Texas System to San Antonio for presentations and tours at the three UTSA campuses -- 1604 Campus, Downtown Campus and Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC).
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
The visitors were briefed on UTSA's plans for growth and state legislative priorities for the upcoming 81st Legislative Session. UTSA students also had an opportunity to meet with the guests to discuss tuition, fees, parking, classroom space and other issues. The day ended with an reception at ITC.
Special guests included State Senator Leticia Van de Putte, who gave a tour of ITC and the HemisFair exhibit, which commemorates the 40th anniversary of San Antonio's world's fair. An ITC docent during her college years, Van de Putte was named an honorary docent by ITC Executive Director John Davis.
Legislative staff members visiting UTSA included:
- David Young, higher education policy analyst, governor's office
- Marisha Negovetich, higher education policy analyst, governor's office
- Andrea Sheridan, senior policy analyst, lieutenant governor's office
- Daniel Harper, budget analyst, Senate Finance Committee
- Von Byer, director, Senate Education Committee
- Susie Strzelec, policy analyst, Senate Education Committee
- Warren von Eschenbach, director, Senate Subcommittee on Higher Education
- Hunter Thompson, budget analyst, House Committee on Appropriations
- Michael De Leon, clerk, House Select Committee on Higher and Public Education Finance
- Rick Travis, higher education team manager, Legislative Budget Board
- Greg Owens, higher education analyst, Legislative Budget Board
- Susan Sherman, higher education analyst, Legislative Budget Board
- Brent Whittaker, director of budget policy, Office of Sen. Judith Zaffirini
- Carlos Martinez, assistant vice chancellor for governmental relations, University of Texas System
- Geoffrey Scarpelli, assistant vice chancellor for governmental relations, University of Texas System