UTSA hosts World AIDS Day events Dec. 1
By Tim Brownlee
Assistant Director of Public Affairs
(Nov. 25, 2008)--UTSA Student Health Services will host World AIDS Day events Monday, Dec. 1 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the 1604 Campus and 6:30-9 p.m. at the Downtown Campus. Activities will include a scavenger hunt, free HIV testing, awareness expo, candlelight vigil, live performances by local musicians and the debut of the HIV Red Balloon Release.
- La Prensa Foundation is newest member of UTSA Lone Star Society
- UTSA alumna Jordan Kaufmann wins $50K for new stent-graft start-up
- UTSA begins new way-finding sign installation this summer at Main Campus
- USA Today: UTSA long jumper Tyler Williamson rescues three-year-old boy
"There are a number of ways the UTSA community can support HIV/AIDS awareness," said Howaida Werfelli, UTSA health education coordinator. "Wear a red ribbon to raise HIV/AIDS awareness, protect yourself and your partners -- the best way to stop the spread of HIV -- and if you are worried, get tested."
On World AIDS Day, individuals and organizations around the world come together to bring attention to the global HIV/AIDS epidemic. 2008 marks the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day.
For more information, contact Howaida Werfelli at (210) 458-6810.
World AIDS Day at UTSA is sponsored by the student organization SHADES (Sexual Health, Alcohol and Drug Education for Students), Student Health Services, Circles of San Antonio Community Coalition, San Antonio Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse (SACADA), San Antonio Fighting Back, Planned Parenthood, Beat AIDS, Center for Health Care Services, San Antonio AIDS Foundation, Invisible Children UTSA, Equal Rights Awareness and Project FATE.
UTSA World AIDS Day activities, Monday, Dec. 1
- World AIDS Day Awareness Expo, Photo Exhibit and concert
-- includes free refreshments, gift card drawings
University Center paseo
10:00 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt
University Center first floor
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Free HIV testing, Student Health Services
10 a.m.-3 p.m. -- call (210) 458-6810 to make an appointment
- Red Balloon Release: Patchwork of Support and Pledge
Convocation Center east lawn
10 a.m.-3 p.m.
- World AIDS Day Candlelight Vigil, Awareness Expo and Concert
Bill Miller Plaza
Entertainment will include UTSA Gospel Choir, Atlee aka The Anthem and The Nostalgic Effect, free refreshments and gift card drawings
- Free HIV testing