» UTSA Expressions -- Student Center for Community Engagement and Inclusion
» Discovery -- UTSA Research
» Innovations -- College of Engineering
» Ovations -- College of Liberal and Fine Arts
» Spectrum -- College of Education
UTSA ranks third in UT System in working with underutilized businesses
(Nov. 23, 2009)--In fiscal year 2009, UTSA ranked third among the University of Texas System institutions in the percentage of eligible expenditures spent with historically underutilized businesses (HUB). UTSA spent more than $16.5 million last year with HUB vendors, which are minority- and women-owned businesses certified by the state. The total amount spent with HUB vendors accounted for more than 25 percent of UTSA's eligible purchases.
"We partner with several agencies to educate the vendors in the community about the opportunities to do business with UTSA," said Robert Dickens, UTSA interim director of purchasing and distribution services. "The HUB program contributes to keeping more of the university's purchasing dollars in our community."
Special recognition goes to the HUB staff coordinating group (SCG) for assisting UTSA in consistently maintaining its high HUB ranking among state agencies and UT System institutions. The SCG meets quarterly to discuss HUB activities and provides direction to ensure the university meets its HUB strategic goals and objectives.
SCG members during fiscal year 2008-2009 were:
- Pamela Bacon (chair), associate vice president for administration
- Mansour El-Kikhia, chair, Department of Political Science and Geography
- Orestes Hubbard, director, Minority Business Enterprise Center
- Wanda Guntz, administrative services officer III, Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs
- Eva Burnett, associate director, budget and management reporting
- Jackie Hobson, director, student affairs budget and finance
- Lila Martinelli, assistant director, grants and contracts
- Polo Cervantes, assistant vice president for facilities administration
- Cassandra Porter, manager of inventory
- Irene Maldonado, HUB program manager, ex officio
- Robert Dickens, interim director of purchasing and distribution services, ex officio
For more information, contact Irene Maldonado, HUB program manager, at 210-458-4068 or visit the UTSA HUB Program Web site.