» UTSA Expressions -- Student Center for Community Engagement and Inclusion
» Discovery -- UTSA Research
» Innovations -- College of Engineering
» Ovations -- College of Liberal and Fine Arts
» Spectrum -- College of Education
UTSA hosts Sexual Assault Awareness Month events April 7-28
(April 6, 2010)--As part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), UTSA Counseling Services and the Women's Resource Center will join rape crisis centers across Texas to promote awareness of the issue. Teal is the signature color chosen to commemorate SAAM events nationwide.
As part of UTSA efforts, there is a series of events focusing on men including the "Are You a Real Man?" workshop at 5 p.m., Thursday, April 8 in Recreation and Wellness Center Room 1.806 on the Main Campus. There are many ways to measure a man; this workshop will be an interactive and fun discussion about men, masculinity, media and gender violence.
For details, visit the UTSA Women's Resource Center Calendar Web site or call 210-458-6829.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month events
- April 7 -- Interactive presentation on sexual assault with open discussion, Chaparral Village
- April 8 -- Girls Night Out: Night of fun with helpful info on issues that affect women and giveaways
- April 8 -- Real Man Workshop: Are you a real man?
- April 13 -- Wear Teal Day: Campuswide day to wear teal in support for those affected by sexual assault and to promote awareness
- April 14-15 -- My Strength Pledge: Outreach booth for the UTSA community to sign the men-of-strength pledge
- April 16 -- My Strength Poster Decorating: Decorating posters and banners with empowering messages for the My Strength Rally
- April 19 -- My Strength Rally: Rally for all UTSA students and especially men to end violence against women and show their strength.
- April 23 -- Wear Denim Day: Campuswide day to wear denim to promote awareness. Denim Day recalls an Italian court case that sparked international outrage when judges did not convict a rapist because the victim wore jeans. The judges ruled that because the victim was wearing tight jeans, she must have helped her attacker remove them, thus implying consent.
- April 23 -- Party in the Paseo
- April 28 -- SAAM Movie Night: "Dissolve" -- documentary on drug-facilitated sexual assault