November 22, 2011
Dear UTSA friends,
The renowned poet Maya Angelou said, "One must know not just how to accept a gift, but with what grace to share it."
UTSA receives many gifts each year in many forms. They come through legislative appropriations and tuition, which account for 70 percent of the cost of education. But, the remaining 30 percent comes from individual donors, foundations, businesses, alumni and other friends of UTSA, for which we are grateful.
Thanksgiving is a time to make note of the many gifts we receive, no matter what their form and no matter what challenges we face. I'm thankful for and inspired by the many UTSA community members and supporters who work to help make the world a better place.
Harriett and I wish each of you a joyous and peaceful Thanksgiving and holiday season. Please enjoy the company of your loved ones, be safe, be grateful and take time to reflect on the blessings and gifts we receive each day.
The University of Texas at San Antonio
The institute will feature a performance from Eva Ybarra, the “Queen of the Accordion.” Manuel Medrano will premiere a documentary on Ybarra’s career. Two people receive free admission with a voucher available here.
Institute of Texan Cultures, Hemisfair Campus
Take the short drive up I-35 to root on your Roadrunners in this I-35 Showdown.
Bobcat Stadium, 1100 Aquarena Springs Dr., San Marcos
Get involved and register to vote. Click on the link to find out the locations on the Main and Downtown Campuses.
Multiple locations on the Main and Downtown Campuses
Learn about products and services available for studying, working, and making it to graduation! Speak directly to OIT managers, provide feedback on UTSA tech, and have your voice heard! Lunch and OIT gear provided. RSVP at: www.utsa.edu/oit/sic.
University Center, Denman Ballroom (2.01.28), Main Campus
Come meet the candidates looking to take home the crown as Mr. and Ms. UTSA 2017-2018. This is your opportunity to hear the candidates platform and learn how they plan to represent and transform UTSA.
University Center, Retama Auditorium (UC 2.02.02), Main Campus
UTSA's Friends of Shakespeare hosts this annual performance seried by Actors from the London Stage, Sept. 27, 29 and 30 at 7:30 p.m.
Arts Building, Recital Hall (ARTS 2.03.02), Main Campus
The Monks of Drepung Loseling Monastery will prepare a mandala sand painting on the main exhibit floor and offer various lectures and activities.
UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures, Hemisfair Campus
Meet researchers and practitioners from academia, industry and government who are working to address smart cities related issues. Register here: https://utsaresearch.wufoo.com/forms/smart-cities-networking-luncheon/
Durango Building, La Villita Room (DB 1.116), Downtown Campus
The University of Texas at San Antonio is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. As an institution of access and excellence, UTSA embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual property - for Texas, the nation and the world.
To be a premier public research university, providing access to educational excellence and preparing citizen leaders for the global environment.
We encourage an environment of dialogue and discovery, where integrity, excellence, inclusiveness, respect, collaboration and innovation are fostered.