» Discovery -- UTSA Research
» Innovations -- College of Engineering
» Ovations -- College of Liberal and Fine Arts
» Spectrum -- College of Education
UTSA honored for leadership in diversity efforts through purchasing
(July 25, 2012) -- UTSA recently received the Esperanza Award during the third annual Excellence Through Diversity awards presented by the Hispanic Contractors Association of San Antonio. The award recognizes an organization whose leadership and staff continue to find ways to improve, support and recognize diversity in their projects. The winners were selected by association members."We are extremely proud of this award from by the Hispanic Contractors Association," said Irene Maldonado, UTSA HUB program manager. "It shows our continued commitment to improving diversity in all of our projects."
Over the last year, UTSA has demonstratted a commitment to diversity by:
- Maintaining a permanent standing committee to serve as an advocate for HUB (historically underutilized business, which are minority- and women-owned businesses); the UTSA Staff Coordinating Group led by Pamela Bacon, associate vice president for administration, and consisting of 15 individuals representing departments across the university.
- Hosting three mentor protégé teams to foster HUB participation and growth. This year, the new team of Alpha Building Corp. (mentor) and H.J. Otis Plumbing (HUB protégé) and Cosmo Electric (HUB protégé) was established.
- Hosting an annual HUB recognition ceremony recognizing staff members who purchase with HUB vendors.
- Creating a new "Construction Award Notifications" Web page on the UTSA Purchasing website to allow vendors immediate, free access to information (also posted a spreadsheet of all HUB subcontractors who have done work for the university in the last two years in order to help general contractors find HUBs)
- Assisting more than 10 businesses become certified (SBE, HUB, WBE).
- Including HUB vendors in all aspects of the procurement process