» UTSA Expressions -- Student Center for Community Engagement and Inclusion
» Discovery -- UTSA Research
» Innovations -- College of Engineering
» Ovations -- College of Liberal and Fine Arts
» Spectrum -- College of Education
UTSA President Ricardo Romo establishes President's Student Leadership Council
(Nov. 14, 2013) -- UTSA President Ricardo Romo has established the President's Student Leadership Council, which will meet twice each semester to provide input on university projects and programs. From a field of more than 80 nominations received from various university administrators including the college deans, Romo selected 21 students to serve for one academic year on the new council.
"I was impressed with the academic rigor and extracurricular involvement shown by all of the students who were nominated, and it was a challenge to select the council," said Romo. "These exceptional Roadrunners will serve as a voice for our students and provide valuable guidance in shaping programs and policies. This is all about enhancing the Roadrunner experience and helping students be successful. I welcome the students to this prestigious group and look forward to their participation."
Romo noted that student input is responsible for many changes on campus including the major remodeling of the John Peace Library, the creation of the bookless library in the Applied Engineering and Technology Building, establishing UTSA football and adding dining venues, among many other projects.
In the first meeting on Oct. 30, the students introduced themselves and discussed what they hoped to offer and learn from the group. One council member mentioned excitement about the increase in school spirit encouraging involvement on campus. Another noted that as a result of creating more activities for students, there is a greater sense of community. Another commented on the need for events for non-traditional students who work and go to school.
Romo said students are largely responsible for the development of new on-campus residence facilities, which have transformed campus life. He noted that the council also will provide opportunities for peer networking and gaining knowledge about UTSA.
For more information on the council, contact Diana Cisneros in the Office of the President at 210-458-4101.
The members of the inaugural President's Student Leadership Council (and their majors) are:
- Hannah Beck, Political Science
- Jose Camacho, Economics
- Salina Cram, Psychology
- Zack Dunn, Finance (Student Government Association president)
- Kaylee Hernandez, Modern Language Studies
- Sonya Hernandez, Mexican-American Studies
- K'Lynn Howell, Multidisciplinary Studies
- Wendi Klupenger, Education
- Kyle Lemere, Communication
- Nate Leonard, Kinesiology
- DeMarcus Lewis, Mathematics
- Ediri Nesiama, Biology
- Erick Ramirez, Marketing/Management
- Lukas Sehlke, Communication
- Carlos Serrano, Architecture
- Chris Stewart, Public Administration
- Christian Trevino, Mechanical Engineering
- Christian Ume-Ezeoke, Community Health
- Ta'Mara Williams, Electrical Engineering
- Darryl Wyrick, Sociology
- David Zhang, Biomedical Engineering