The minimum number of semester credit hours for the Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting is 120, at least 39 of which must be at the upper-division level.
All candidates seeking this degree must fulfill the Core Curriculum requirements, the Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) requirements, and the degree requirements, which are listed below.
Core Curriculum Requirements (42 semester credit hours)
Students seeking the Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting must fulfill University Core Curriculum requirements in the same manner as other students. The courses listed below satisfy both degree requirements and Core Curriculum requirements; however, if these courses are taken to satisfy both requirements, then students may need to take additional courses in order to meet the minimum number of semester credit hours required for this degree. For a complete listing of courses that satisfy the Core Curriculum requirements, see pages 3-5 of this catalog.
MAT 1033 should be used to satisfy the core requirement in Mathematics. ECO 2013 should be used to satisfy the core requirement in Economics.Common Body of Knowledge (CBK)
All students seeking a B.B.A. degree in the College of Business must complete the following Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) courses in addition to the Core Curriculum.
ACC 2013 Principles of Accounting I
ACC 2033 Principles of Accounting II
BLW 3013 Business Law
COM 1053 Business and Professional Speech
ECO 2013 Introductory Macroeconomics (satisfies Economics Core Curriculum requirement)
ECO 2023 Introductory Microeconomics
FIN 3014 Principles of Business Finance
GBA 2013 Social and Ethical Issues in Business
IS 1403 Business Information Systems Fluency
IS 3003 Principles of Information Systems for Management
MAT 1033 Algebra with Calculus for Business (satisfies Mathematics Core Curriculum requirement)
(Actuarial Science majors must take MAT 1214 in lieu of MAT 1033)
MGT 3003 Business Communication and Professional Development
MGT 3013 Introduction to Organization Theory, Behavior, and Management
MGT 4893 Management Strategy (taken in semester of graduation)
MKT 3013 Principles of Marketing
MS 1023 Business Statistics with Computer Applications I
(Actuarial Science majors must take STA 1053 in lieu of MS 1023)
MS 3043 Business Statistics with Computer Applications II
(Actuarial Science majors must take STA 3003 in lieu of MS 3043)
MS 3053 Management Science and Operations Technology
In addition to the Core Curriculum requirements and requirements from the College of Business Common Body of Knowledge (CBK), all candidates for the degree must complete the following degree requirements.
- 24 semester credit hours of accounting courses in the major:
ACC 3023 Intermediate Accounting I
ACC 3033 Intermediate Accounting II
ACC 3043 Federal Income Taxation
ACC 3113 Accounting Information Systems
ACC 3123 Cost Analysis
ACC 4013 Principles of Auditing
ACC 4163 Contemporary Issues in Accounting Practice
ACC 4933 Internship in Accounting
ACC 4963 Accounting Practicum
- 5 semester credit hours of lower-division or upper-division non-accounting business or non-business electives
- Because of the topical coverage of the CPA examination, BLW 3023 Business Organizations and Commercial Law is recommended as a non-accounting elective for students who anticipate taking the CPA examination.
- The educational requirements for candidates applying for the CPA examination in Texas are regulated by the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy. Students with questions about requirements or eligibility should contact the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, 333 Guadalupe, Tower III, Suite 900, Austin, TX 78701 or (512) 305-7851 or visit their Web site at www.tsbpa.state.tx.us.
- The number of accounting hours required to earn a B.B.A. in Accounting is inadequate to sit for the CPA examination under current Texas state law. Please refer to the Five-Year Professional Accounting Program information following the description of ACC 4993.
- Rule 511.28c of the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy states, “…the board requires that 3 passing semester hours be earned as a result of taking a course in ethics. The course must be taken at a recognized educational institution and should include ethical reasoning, integrity, objectivity, independence and other core values.” Students planning to sit for the CPA examination should enroll in the sections of GBA 2013 notated “Recommended for Accounting and Finance majors.”
Course Sequence Guide for B.B.A. Degree in Accounting
This course sequence guide is designed to assist students in completing their UTSA undergraduate business degree requirements. This is a term-by-term sample course guide. Students must satisfy other requirements in their catalog and meet with an academic advisor in the College of Business Undergraduate Advising Center for an individualized degree plan. Progress within this guide depends upon such factors as course availability, individual student academic preparation, student time management, work obligations, and individual financial considerations. Students may choose to take courses during Summer terms to reduce course loads during long semesters.
Recommended Four-Year Academic Plan
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|MAT 1033 (core and major)||3||COM 1053||3|
|WRC 1013 (core)||3||IS 1403||3|
|Social & Behavioral Science core||3||WRC 1023 (core)||3|
|U.S. History & Diversity core||3||Natural Sciences core - Level I||3|
|Visual & Performing Arts core||3||U.S. History & Diversity core||3|
|Total semester hours||15||Total semester hours||15|
|Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
|ACC 2013||3||ACC 2033||3|
|ECO 2013* (core and major)||3||ECO 2023*||3|
|MS 1023||3||MS 3043||3|
|POL 1013 (core)||3||POL 1133 or POL 1213 (core)||3|
|Literature core||3||Natural Sciences core - Level II||3|
|Total semester hours||15||Total semester hours||15|
|Fifth Semester||Sixth Semester|
|ACC 3023||3||ACC 3033||3|
|ACC 3113||3||ACC 3123||3|
|IS 3003||3||FIN 3014||4|
|MGT 3003||3||GBA 2013||3|
|MS 3053||3||MGT 3013||3|
|Total semester hours||15||Total semester hours||16||Seventh Semester||Eighth Semester|
|ACC 3043||3||ACC 4163||3|
|ACC 4013||3||ACC 4933 or ACC 4963||3|
|BLW 3013||3||MGT 4893||3|
|MKT 3013||3||Non-accounting or non-business elective||2|
|Non-accounting or non-business elective||3||World Society & Issues core||3|
|Total semester hours||15||Total semester hours||14|