Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Content

You're Admitted, What's Next? - International Students

Ready to move forward with enrolling at UTSA? UTSA provides a variety of student services to help students prepare for their transition. Refer to this checklist as you take the final steps to becoming a Roadrunner.

How to obtain an I-20 or DS 2019 Form

For students seeking an F1/J1 visa, there are additional requirements in order to receive an I-20/DS-2019 Form. You must review the F1/J1 requirements.
  Please note that your admission to UTSA will not guarantee issuance of an I-20/DS-2019 Form.

Back to top

International Student Orientation

International Student Orientation is mandatory for all international students, and you must register to attend.  To register and learn more about orientation, please visit the International Student Services Orientation webpage.

Back to top

English Language Assessment (ELAP)

Any international student who does not have a waiver and who scores less than 100 on the internet based TOEFL (Paper TOEFL-600, IELTS-7) must participate in the English Language Assessment Program (ELAP). Registration for this assessment takes place during Orientation. Outcome of the assessment may determine placement in one or more ESL courses during the first semester of enrollment.

» Visit ASAP website to view holds

» Visit ELAP website

Back to top


Entering students may be required to take placement exams to determine the level of college coursework they will enroll in for their first semester. In addition, students who have not yet met Texas Success Initiative requirements, as outlined by the State of Texas, may also be required to take additional exams before registering for classes.

» View Testing website    » Check your required testing requirements

Back to top


Living on campus can be an important part of the college experience. With several different on-campus housing options, students can find the best environment for them. Application for Spring semester housing is available during the fall semester. Students admitted for summer and fall terms can begin the applying for housing in mid-January.

» View Housing website    » Apply for on Campus Housing

Back to top

Academic Advising

Admitted transfer students are able to schedule a meeting with their academic advisor once they have been admitted. Freshmen and freshmen transfer students will attend academic advising sessions during their scheduled orientation.

» Listing of Academic Advising Centers

Back to top

Texas residency requirements for tuition purposes

International students are expected to pay out-of-state tuition; however, the Texas Higher Education Coordinator Board has outlined some rules whereby an international student may qualify as a Texas resident for tuition purposes to pay the in-state tuition rate.  Please visit for more information.  Residency forms can be submitted to The Office of The Registrar, UTSA, One UTSA Circle, San Antonio TX 78249.

Back to top

Final Document Submission

All students with courses in progress are required to submit final transcripts prior to their enrollment. Admitted freshmen are required to submit their final high school transcript reflecting their graduation date or completion of high school that has been determined equivalent to a U.S. high school graduation, as applicable.  Admitted transfers must submit final transcripts for any work in progress.

Back to top


View our Scholarship Information.

Back to top

Student Health: Requirements

Health Requirement 1: Meningococcal Meningitis Immunization.

The State of Texas has required that in order to register for classes all students under the age of 22 are required to document their Meningococcal Meningitis immunization.

You must receive the Meningococcal Meningitis immunization during the 5 year period prior to but no later than 10 days before the first day of the semester.

Submit proof of your Meningococcal immunization records to Student Health Services by email or fax by the deadlines. Your immunization records must be translated in English.

Health Requirement 2: Tuberculosis (TB) Test

It is highly recommended that you take a TB blood test in your home country. Student Health Services accepts the following blood tests:

  • QuantiFERON GOLD
  • T-Spot

TB testing must have been performed within 3 months of the first day of the semester.

Student Health Services does not accept these tests:

  • IgG
  • IgM
  • Other forms of rapid testing
  • PPD from other countries

If your test result is in a language other than English, please have a translation service translate them into English prior to submission to Student Health Services.

Submit your test results by fax at (210) 458-4151 or by email to Student Health Services Website.

Have questions about these tests and the TB test requirement? Contact Student Health Services at (210) 458-4142 or email
Student Health Services Website.

Back to top

Mandatory Student Health Insurance

Mandatory Student Health Insurance:
The University of Texas Board of Regents requires that all international students holding a non-immigrant visa status must maintain approved comprehensive health insurance coverage while enrolled at the The University of Texas at San Antonio.

International students will be automatically enrolled in the UT System student health insurance plan at the time of registration, unless evidence of comparable coverage has been furnished to the Office of International Programs and approved through a waiver process.


View Health Insurance Information.

Email the International Student Health Insurance Advisor.

Back to top