The Department of Biology at UTSA is a great place to participate in cutting edge research and earn your Master of Science degree and/or your Doctor of Philosophy degree. We have state of the art equipment and laboratories that lead to creation of knowledge through research. Our faculty are known state-wide and nationally for their professional and community contributions, as well as being quality teachers.
Please visit the UTSA Graduate School for the requirements and deadlines to apply to our programs. The main items in the application are:
- Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study
- Completed application form
- Official undergraduate transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE score
- TOEFL score (international applicants)
- IELTS Score (international applicants)
All applications are processed by the Graduate School; however, the Biology Department is happy to provide advice to assist you in the preparation of your application. Please contact the Graduate Advisor of Record if you have any questions. Exceptional applicants may also qualify for a waiver of the application fee.
Graduate Advisor of Record
Master of Science
Biology and Biotechnology – Dr. Valerie Sponsel
Doctor of Philosophy