STANDARD FOR NETWORK CONFIGURATION
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Office of Information Technology
Office of Information Security (OIS) Standards
OIS 23 – Standard for Network Configuration
I. STANDARD STATEMENT
The UTSA Standard for Network Configuration establishes the rules for the maintenance, expansion and use of the network infrastructure. These rules are necessary to preserve the integrity, availability and confidentiality of UTSA information.
This standard supports HOP Policy 8-12 Information Resources Use and Security Policy
This standard applies to all UTSA faculty, staff, and students.
If you have any questions about OIS 23 – Standard for Network Configuration contact the following office:
The Office of Information Security
- The UTSA Standard for Network Configuration applies equally to all individuals with access to any UTSA information resource.
- UTSA Office of Information Technology (OIT) is the custodian of and is responsible for the UTSA network infrastructure and will continue to manage further developments and enhancements to this infrastructure.
- To provide a consistent UTSA network infrastructure capable of exploiting new networking developments, all cabling must be installed by UTSA OIT or an approved contractor under management by OIT.
- All equipment that is connected to the network must be configured to specifications approved by UTSA OIT.
- All hardware connected to the UTSA network is subject to UTSA OIT management and monitoring standards.
- Changes to the configuration of active network management devices must have the prior approval of UTSA OIT.
- The UTSA network infrastructure supports a well-defined set of approved networking protocols. Any use of non-sanctioned protocols must be approved by UTSA OIT. The networking addresses for the supported protocols are allocated, registered and managed centrally by UTSA OIT.
- All connections of the network infrastructure to external third party networks will be the responsibility of UTSA OIT. This includes connections to external telephone networks.
- The use of departmental firewalls is not permitted without prior written authorization from UTSA OIT.
- Users must not extend or re-transmit network services in any way. Users must not install a router, switch, hub or wireless access point to the UTSA network without UTSA OIT approval.
- Users must not install network hardware or software that provides network services without UTSA OIT approval.
- Users are not permitted to alter network hardware in any way.
Effective Date: January 1, 2012
Last Revised: September 21, 2017
Reviewed: September 21, 2017