Past Events: 2018
Spring 2018 Professional Workshops
January 20 and 26
Kingdom and Petra software in subsurface exploration. Energy Resources career track.
Streamflow gauging at the USGS. Water Resources career track.
Ground penetrating radar. Geo-Environmental Assessment career track.
Spring 2018 End-of-Semester Symposium
Students shared their research internship and career externship experience during the program symposium. Research internship topics included:
- Global Climatology of Sea Surface Salinity (supervisor: Dr. Alberto Mestas-Nuñez)
- Eddy Separation in the Loop Current System (supervisor: Dr. Alberto Mestas-Nuñez)
- The Evolution of Surface Melting on Nansen Ice Shelf (supervisor: Dr. Hongjie Xie)
- Lithological and Geochemical Analysis of the Upper Eagle Ford–Austin Chalk Groups Boundary (supervisor: Dr. Alexis Godet)
- Chemostratigraphic Analysis of Ruby Ranch Carbonate Sediment, Utah (supervisor: Dr. Marina Suarez)
- Assessment of the Geochemistry of Groundwaters from Wells and Springs within the Nueces, South Llano, and West Nueces River Basins, Edwards/Real Counties (supervisor: Dr. Yongli Gao)
- Speleothems and Paleoclimate Change (supervisor: Dr. Jessica Kelley)
- Analyzing Magmatic Fabric Patterns in the Younger Granite, Llano Uplift, Central Texas, USA (supervisor: Dr. Walter Gray)
- Bed Material Transport in the San Antonio River (supervisor: Dr. Judy Haschenburger)
- Geochemical Analysis of Albian Depositional Conditions in Santa Elena Canyon (supervisor: Dr. Alexis Godet)
- Geochemical Evaluation of Edwards and Trinity Aquifers Based on Multiport Well Data: An Investigation into Hydrogeological Interaction (supervisor: Dr. Yongli Gao)
- Sample Preparation for Paleoclimate Research in Northwest China (supervisor: Dr. Marina Suarez)
- Age Approximation of Yonger Granite Intrusions through Foliations Analysis (supervisor: Dr. Walter Gray)
Externships were performed at the following companies:
- Energy Resources: EOG Resources, BlackBrush Oil & Gas L.P., Lilis Energy
- Water Resources: Edwards Aquifer Authority, U.S. Geological Survey, Southwest Research Institute
- Geo-Environmental Assessment: Terracon,Oneida Total Integrated Enterprises, Southwest Research Institute
Student participants (cohort 1) and project team members at the end-of-semester program symposium, Spring 2018
Fall 2018 Professional Workshops
Modules offered during the annual Texas Hydro-Geo Workshop. Water Resources and Geo-Environmental Assessment career tracks.
Petra software in subsurface exploration. Energy Resources career track.
Fall 2018 End-of-Semester Symposium
Students shared their internship experience during the program symposium. Externships were performed at the following companies:
- Energy Resources: BlackBrush Oil & Gas L.P., Welder Exploration & Production Inc., Windridge Oil & Gas L.P.
- Water Resources: Edwards Aquifer Authority, San Antonio River Authority, U.S. Geological Survey
- Geo-Environmental Assessment: Southwest Research Institute, Terracon
Student participants (cohort 2) gave an oral presentation about the results of their internship at the end-of-semester program symposium, Fall 2018
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number 1600542. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.