UTSA home page

UTSA-PD Security Services
Frequently Asked Questions

Hop 8.04

Mechanical Keys



How do I request a key? 

Authorized Requestors may submit a Mechanical Key Request Form(available at Security Services website: http://www.utsa.edu/access/ ). The form must be approved by the appropriate administrative official who will certify the affiliation and access authorization of the individual for whom the key is requested.


Can anyone request keys?

No, only the department’s appropriate administrative official/authorized requestor.


Who is an Authorized Requestor?

The Administrative official, head of divisional unit, college or department may authorize a delegate with administrative responsibilities and oversight authority e.g. Director, Assistant Director, Administrative Services Officers, and Senior Administrative Associate.


Can a department request Master Keys?

Request for master keys are carefully reviewed and Security Services will work with departments to assess their needs. Issuance of master keys is limited for security concern.


Can I pick up my supervisor's key? 

No, Security Services will not release keys to persons other than the employee to whom the keys are issued to.


Can I request a key to match another person's key? 

No, requesting a match is not always sufficient information, plus the mechanical key request from must include a list of the building and door numbers.


If I am separating from a department, should I leave my keys for the person who is replacing me?

Keys shall not be transferred from one UTSA affiliate to another. When a UTSA employee terminates his/her affiliation with UTSA, he/she must return the issued key(s) to the University Police Security Services upon terminating their affiliation with UTSA. A key request must be submitted for the new person. Keys may not to be sent through campus or postal mail service.
Important Note: Please coordinate with our office in advance. We may be able to smoothly transfer the key to the new person without a huge delay. With a key request and in person visit, we may be able to correctly transfer the key while maintaining our key records updated.


If I am separating, but returning to work to the same department in thirty days, can I keep my keys?

No, when a UTSA or UT System employee terminates employment, they must return keys in accordance with HOP policy 4.14, Separation of Employment for UTSA Personnel, and follow all required procedures.  


What do I do if I lose my key(s)?

  •   The loss or theft of a key must immediately be reported to the UTSA Police Department and to the immediate supervisor or administrative official with responsibility for the department.


  •   A police report will be completed and a police investigation conducted.  Based on the results of the investigation, a determination will be made by Security Services if rekeying of offices is necessary for the security location.


  •   Replacement of lost or stolen keys requires a completed UTSA Security Services “ Mechanical Key Request Form ” listing the UTSAPD report number.


  •   If missing key is found, please notify Security Service immediately!


If I lose my key, does my department need to rekey the office?

The UTSAPD and Security Services will work with the departments to assess the risk and determine if it is necessary to re-key the facility to restore its security. Depending on the circumstances, the department may be responsible for the cost of the new cores and keys.


Our department is relocating and/or acquiring additional space. What steps do I need to take in order to get keys to the new space?

Contact Security Services via email to schedule an area assessment for rekeying. After assessment is completed, the department must submit a Mechanical Key Request Form to rekey the doors in the area and request keys as needed. Memo from Space Management must be attached to the request form.


Can I borrow keys from my coworkers?

No, keys are assigned to individual users who have signed for them. Keys issued by Security Services are recorded under each user Banner ID number.


Swipe Access Card

Can anyone request card access?

No, only the department’s appropriate administrative official/authorized requestor. Security Services will only process swipe card access requested by the authorized requestors through its E-Form: Card Access Request


Why can't I log in?

Prior authorization must be given by the Administrative official from the department.


What is the Security Services E-Form?

It is Security Services Electronical card access request form.


How do I become an authorized requestor log-in to the E-Form?

The Chair of Director of each department must approve deletions, revisions and/or additions to the authorized requestors list. Names, Titles and Banner ID numbers must be submitted to Security Services via email to: Security Services


What do I do if I lose my card?

Contact Security Services immediately to deactivate card; a new card may need to be assigned by Campus Services.


Can I request a key for a door with card swipe access?

No, keys are not issued to those types of doors with electronic card readers, keypads, or biometric access control systems.


Do I call Security Services to grant access to Housing and Residence Life?

No, Housing and Residence Life handle their own swipe card access requests.


How can I request my office suite to be locked temporarily due to a special event or training if it has card swipe access and is on a lock/unlock schedule?

The manual locking of doors can be processed promptly. Contact Security Services at extension 6855 to manually lock your office before leaving; call back to ensure the door is returned to its time schedule.


I was granted door access to a door which requires a PIN or biometric reader to access the area, how do I obtain the PIN or get my fingerprint entered in DSX?

Stop by at Security Services, BOS 1.200, during working hours, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm to obtain a PIN or be fingerprinted for biometric reader access.


Who do I contact if card access does not work?

Contact Security Services at extension 6855


How do I report door access issues after business hours or when campus is closed?

Contact Dispatch at extension 4242


If I am employed at the downtown campus and have door access issues who I contact?

Security Services at extension 6855. We provide access support to tall three campuses. Main 1604, DTC and ITC


E-Form-Electronic Forms

How can I access Security Services E-Form?

Card Access Request


Why can't I log in?

Prior authorization must be given by the Administrative official from the department.


Can I request card access for myself?

No, if you are an authorized requestor for your department, you cannot request access for yourself; however, another authorized requestor from your department can request access for you.


What do I do if the door I am requesting access for is not listed in the E-Forms drop box?

Contact Security Services at Security Services


Why was my card access request E-Forms denied?

Requests may be denied for several reasons: nonexistent room number, incorrect Banner ID number and/or user not in the system. A denied email will give the reason why the request was denied.


Security Services

What is a panic button?

A button that can be discretely placed so that when pressed, a silent alarm is directed to UTSA Police Department for immediate response. These types of alarms are typically installed in offices and/or areas of high security.


How do I request a panic button? Or relocation of existing one?

Contact Security Services via email: Security Services provide full detail of location to install the panic button; our technicians will assess the area to give you a cost estimate and make arrangements to schedule installation. For relocation of existing panic buttons, contact us with advance notice to arrange timely service.


Gate Openers/Pad Locks

What are Gate Openers used for?

Gate Openers are mainly used by staff members driving a UTSA vehicle to open gates throughout the campus.


What are Pad Locks used for?

Pad Locks are used to secure sheds, chains, and fences.


How do I request a Gate Opener and/or Pad Locks?

A Mechanical Key Request Form must be used to order Gate Openers and Pad Locks.


How do I request swipe access to a DSX door? 

Visit our website and click on Card Access Request. That link will take you to the electronic access request form.


Other Security related Concerns

If there is a security camera near a location of suspicious activity, e.g. a theft or accident, can I get a copy of the video for personal reasons?

No, you cannot obtain any security footage from any location around campus. If there is a possibility of a crime being committed, you should file a police report with the UTSA Police Department so they can conduct an investigation.


Who do I contact to discuss other physical security needs?

Contact Security Services Supervisor, Daniel Torres at 210.458.6057, and/or Director, Jessenia Skelton at 210.458.7148. There is an extensive array of security devices, such as key pads, panic alarms, and electronic key boxes. Security Services can meet with the department to discuss the best security practices.